Cameron gets in gear, finally!

So, it looks like James Cameron is finally getting off his arse to make a new feature:

‘Battle Angel’, based on a manga series.

Anyone read the series or know anything about it?

I suppose it’s Battle Angel Alita, your typical pretty girl killer android in dystopian future series.

This has been rumored/in the works for years. Also, “Dark Angel” has some Alita influences.

The actual manga has some brilliant art but is basically a violent adolescent action comic. And of course it features a strong, hot female protagonist so Cameron is all over it.

Mali Finn’s casting agency put out the call so it looks like it’s more than a rumour now:

/snip
No prior film experience necessary. However, voice, movement, and actor training are imperative.

SEEKING: FEMALE LEAD. 16-mid 20s. Any ethnicity, including Caucasian.

She moves and behaves with confidence and a sense of nobility. Lithe as a cat. Athletic and agile, she is a warrior. Graceful movement and an ear for languages and dialects are essential.

Sound like you? Interested in starring in a Hollywood feature film?

Visit our website and fill out an application: MaliFinnCasting.Com

Please include two recent snapshots or Polaroids (one close up / one full body shot). Also include the following information on the back of each photo: NAME ? CONTACT # - HEIGHT ? WEIGHT ? D.O.B.

Mail completed application and photos to:

Mali Finn Casting

8284 Santa Monica Blvd

W. Hollywood, CA 90046

Attn: UNTITLED PROJECT

APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY DEC. 19, 2005

I thought he was directing Aquaman.

Damn, I was hoping to finally get the definitive Aquaman movie.

The guy who built Battle Angel is the same character from Trigun, no?

:lol:

Summer 2006, baby!

[i]Now listen up
She’s razor sharp
If she don’t get her way
She’ll slice you apart
Well she’s a cool, cool black
Moves like a cat
If you don’t get her game
You might not make it back

She’s got the looks that kill, That kill
She’s got the looks that kill, That kill
She’s got the looks

She’s got looks that kill
She’s got looks that kill

(repeat to fade)[/i]

Come on, it’s better than that! :D

Battle Angel Alita and Nausicaa were some of the first manga I ever picked up years ago, and Alita is still a favorite of mine. (The original series anyway, the newer “Last Order” sequel has been a big letdown.) Yukito Kishiro is a fantastic artist, and he comes up with dozens of memorable characters - especially shades-of-grey villians who all have believable motiviations and personalities.

The motorball and Zapan storylines are my particular favorites. (Killing Angel thru Angel of Redemption.) It would be nice if Cameron decides to pull from some of these later storylines instead of just re-telling the origin story…

Yeah, thought Cameron had given up doing Battle Angel Alita and Dark Angel was his cheaper low budget version.

Wish Cameron was directing X-Men 3.

Part of the reason this has taken so long is because Cameron wants to use the same 3-D Video process he used for Ghosts of the Abyss and he’s been waiting for more theaters to adopt the technology. Either he’s going to be waiting a lot longer or he’s finally bitten the bullet and decided to do it as a plain old 2D film.

No, that’s correct Mr. Violence; he gave a proof of concept demonstration to the Warner brass and they agreed.

He also says he’s planning on this being at least a two movie series, maybe three, and that he’s shooting two movies back to back. Although I don’t think the one he’s shooting on the back end is a Battle Angel sequel.

Yeah, thought Cameron had given up doing Battle Angel Alita and Dark Angel was his cheaper low budget version.
[/quote]

Maybe he just decided to pull a Disney and shoot it without authorization… What are they gonna do - sue him? Judging from the Lion King, apparently not.

Funny thing is, I think Battle Angel Alita wasn’t that popular in Japan. It was all America.

No, that’s correct Mr. Violence; he gave a proof of concept demonstration to the Warner brass and they agreed.

Which part was correct? Is he still going to do it in 3D or has he decided to just do a conventional film instead? 3-D Video is a pretty neat technology, but I don’t see theater owners jumping on en masse unless the studio agrees to eat the installation costs.

He’s going 3D.

Battle Angel was the first anime ever I saw (not counting super ted), and I think it’s spectacular. I know Cameron will nail it, due to the kick ass female lead.

Now, if only he would do Neuromancer… Steppin’ razor.

I wish Cameron were making the Abyss 2, or ANY movie in space.

It’s a risk you, and the studios, are going to have to take.

Luckily it’ll only cost you $10 as compared to their $200M.

All I remember about Alita is that in the final issues she’s naked and pregnant a lot.