Camping Supplies

If, by chance, three men were to head out in the wilderness in the cold of near-Winter, they would need supplies. They’d need the obvious stuff. Beer, for example, comes to mind. And, presumably, they’d need other things as well. If we were to form a list, what would it look like?

Beer bulks too much per ounce of alcohol. I’d pack liquor instead :)

Alcohol plus winter is a recipe for frostbite. It gives you a false sense of being warm. If you’re going somewhere where it’s actually freezing it’s a really bad idea. If it’s just going to be cold, booze away.

Bear traps so they don’t take you during the night.

I believe there will be Rockin’ Rye and Blackberry Brandy on tap. That should do the trick.

The only camping supply that matters is the rocket launcher.

A gun (Rywill, I’m looking at yoooooooooou!)

Spare blankets kept inside the vehicle at all times, in case of rain.

A short list:

3 sources of fire
3 knives

Hammock (Hennessey)
Space blanket
stove + gas
0 degree mummy bag
Lots of wool
Water filter
food

There’s the essentials for getting through the night and being able to eat and drink. Above and beyond, you have:

LED flashlight/headlamp
Cooking kit + food
TP
shovel/trowel
Paracord
thermal underwear
Platypus or similar bladder
firearm
booze
first aid supplies
compass
mirror
toiletries

Those are the comfort/contingency items. I usually pack about 40lbs on the way in. For specific brands,

http://www.msrcorp.com/

http://www.purwaterfilter.com/hikguidpor.html

Those are the big three. Regarding packs and sleeping bags, the debate is endless and mostly pointless. Just look for the lowest temp rating you can afford.

Backpacking is very, very similar to other gadget sports like paintball or golf, in that most people derive their greatest enjoyment from the acquisition of equipment, rather than the actual activity. As such, there are an endless number of forums debating whether to get the 500$ sleeping bag or the 700$ bag, with frequent detours to call each other stupid. Then you have the minimalists, who are even worse. They like to drill holes in their toothbrush to save weight, and consider anyone who carries more than 20lbs to be a moron.

For my money, get the lightest pack you can for under 100$, the lowest temp bag for under 100$, buy some fun gear, and get out there. If you splurge and get the hammock, you’ll save 4-6 lbs over a tent, and stay warmer as you are kept off of the ground. It’s a great system.

H.

Fortunately, I always take my jungle-camo ninja outfit when I go camping. So you think you’re looking at me, but then OHMYGOD WHAT’S THAT RUSTLING BEHIND YOU?

GROSS. Leave the poor things alone. Haven’t they suffered enough?

At least now they need suffer no longer. And, just to make the arrangement all symbiotic-like, we get the use of their precious bladders.

[size=2]Er… what do we need those for, again?[/size]

At least now they need suffer no longer. And, just to make the arrangement all symbiotic-like, we get the use of their precious bladders.

[size=2]Er… what do we need those for, again?[/size][/quote]

I don’t know, but I bet Kitsune does.

[size=2]Er… what do we need those for, again?[/size][/quote]

It’s a brand, you jack-legged frooferaws.

http://www.platypushydration.com/

H.

don’t forget the complete idiot’s guide to camping and hiking!

[quip](http://www.foo.bar/yadayadayada.html&etc...)

Assuming you already know where you’re going. But if not, some places have a policy of park and hike. Meaning, you park your car and then hike up to the camping site. So you’d want to go easy on the non-essentials if this is the case. Also, be prepared to take your trash with you on the way out, so have some garbage bags.

Generally speaking though, if you have an automobile near by you’ll be fine, since you can always bug out if something bad happens. So you basically need food, clothing, and shelter. The rest is secondary.

Pepper spray is also good on wild animals if you don’t have a gun.
If you are going any place where you might get lost, I’d even recommend one of those cheap Garmin GPS units.

K

Extra socks

Here’s a fairly comprehensive list.

Gear List for Winter Camping
_____ Wall Tent
_____ Tent Poles
_____ Wood Stove
_____ Stovepipe
_____ Toboggans
_____ Ground Sheet
_____ 2 Garbage Bags
_____ Bowls
_____ Cups
_____ Spoons
_____ Water Bottles
_____ Knives
_____ Compasses
_____ Matches
_____ Flash Lights or Headlamps
_____ Plastic Bags
_____ First Aid Kit
_____ Cooking Stove
_____ Pots
_____ Food
_____ Saw
_____ Axe
_____ Skis
_____ Wax
_____ Ski Poles
_____ Tooth Brushes
_____ Toothpaste
_____ Toilet Paper
_____ Sunglasses
_____ Sunscreen
_____ Gas Lantern

Clothing List for Winter Camping
_____ Sleeping bag
_____ Outer Sleeping Bag
_____ Sleeping Pad
_____ 2 Long Underwear Top
_____ 2 Long Underwear Bottoms
_____ 4 pair socks
_____ Long Sleeved Shirt
_____ Wool Sweater
_____ Fleece or Down Vest
_____ Outer Parka
_____ Wool or Fleece Pants
_____ Rain Pants
_____ Toque
_____ Snowboots
_____ 2 pair Wool Mitts
_____ Leather Mitts
_____ Sleeping Clothes
_____ Gaiters
_____ Skiing clothes
_____ Ski boots

And Massively Multiplayer Games For Dummies

you forget the sled dogs. 'cause i’m not sure how else you are getting the toboggans into the woods.

Be sure to take something to scare away the wolf people.