Can a Game make You Cry?

Can a Game make You Cry?

Deus Ex 2.

You know, I really don’t miss you.

P:T’s got so many good moments that gave me a lump in my throat. My favorite sensory stone was the one where “you” (I don’t remember if this was an actual TNO memory or not) are captain of an airship in the midst of a war, and you order an attack on a town. One of your subjects knows that innocent civilians will be caught up in it all, and he questions your decision. You have to explain to him, crying all the time, that there is no such thing as innocents in war. Or at least you can’t allow yourself to accept the possibility that there might be, since it would mean you could never order an offensive and thus could never win a war.

The ending of Torment got to me too.

Oh, and fuck Aeris. Yeah, it was a big surprise at the time, but I never got what Cloud, or anyone for that matter, saw in her.

The ending of Prince of Persia SoT made me well up a bit because of the prince’s sacrifice to try and make everything the way it was. Which messed him up in the second game but that’s besides the point.

Another scene (not so much a scene but a quest), was in World of Warcraft. There’s a quest where you find the ghost of a dead lady in a house in the western plaguelands, she wants you to find her girl in Darrowshire. When you find the girl, she asks you to collect 3 pieces of her doll from the different buildings in the city, when you get them for her she thanks you and asks you to give it to her uncle, who used to tell her funny stories at bedtime. That quest was sad.

There was another quest involving another dead lady in eastern plaguelands, where you get her the husband’s good luck charm. It involves you going to Stormwind to meet an old wandering lady, and the words of the ghost and the old lady were both quite moving.

Another one was a cutscene from Warcraft III, at the end of the orc campaign, when Grom Hellscream manages to slay the demon Mannoroth, and Grom dies afterwards as Thrall is leaning over him. That was quite a moving scene as well.

The Call of Duty scene in Stalingrad was gut-wrenching, with all the Russian foot soldiers rushing in to take the square and being mowed down by German machine gun nests. The other scene in the game that really moved me was when you had to defend this bridge in the British campaign, and the situation was completely desparate with German troops all over the place surrounding you, and incoming tanks to be destroyed, and then suddenly this solemn, sad orchestral score kicked in that really conveyed the hopelessness of the situation.

I don’t care what you say, but Mona Sax’s death in the end of Max Payne 2 was also really sad.

Err… and I ALMOST welled up when I had to leave one of the soldiers in delta squad in Star Wars Republic Commando back because he got attacked and we didn’t have time to try and save him. Given that he was a clone, make of this what you will.

Oh god, yes.

Another scene (not so much a scene but a quest), was in World of Warcraft. There’s a quest where you find the ghost of a dead lady in a house in the western plaguelands, she wants you to find her girl in Darrowshire. When you find the girl, she asks you to collect 3 pieces of her doll from the different buildings in the city, when you get them for her she thanks you and asks you to give it to her uncle, who used to tell her funny stories at bedtime. That quest was sad.

Speaking of ghosts and dolls, there’s a mission in Thief 2 that takes you out to a village that the Hammerite-schism folks had pretty much massacred just a few hours before. In one of the huts, you find a little girls’ doll, and as you pick it up her apparition appears and tells you that you can have it now, she doesn’t need it anymore. (It would act as a kind of low-grade flashbomb against zombies and such, I think–the memory’s hazy.)

Granted, that didn’t make me cry. But it did make me turn down the difficulty so that the objectives would allow me to kill every single patrolling soldier in the village instead of just sneaking and blackjacking past them. I’d usually knock them out then dump their unconscious bodies right in the river, then shake her doll at them while they drowned. In its own way, that’s a better emotional-moving moment than crying is.

Wasn’t the subject line of this thread used to promote King’s Quest IV or something like that?

Well I did go apeshit on quite a few undead in the nearby village because I was really pissed off at what happened to her.

Yeah thats exactly right; I was about to post that, but you beat me too it. If I recall correctly, the sad part is supposed to be when King Graham dies (oops spoiler for 16 year old game!)

I doubt it made her cry, but KQIV was the one and only game my mom ever plays till the end (or at all).

Hmmm cry? No not really but I did feel bad about losing Dogmeat in Fallout. I also felt bad when Vicktoria (sp?) died in Thief 2 - mostly felt bad for Garrett when that happened.

There is however one player made movie that made me choke up a bit and that was Requiem which was made with IL2. I normally can’t stand player made movies as 9 times out of 10 they suck balls but Requiem is just amazing especially if you’re in a somber mood.

King Graham died? Not in KQ4.

Kalle, re your spoiler, me too. Exceptional character in all respects. Great voice actress. I didn’t mention Torment 'cause everybody knows already, but that doesn’t make it any less of a good example.

That whole endgame sequence was amazing. More like that please. Although having been through that has spoiled me and I am now underwhelmed by a lot of RPGs…

Most recently, about two days after finishing Ico, it dawned on me what had actually happened at the end.

It’s one of those games that has a sad ending. Then the credits roll. Then you get another scene at the end, and it’s the happy ending you were aiming to get all along.

Then, later, you add things together and it all becomes quite sad.

But then happy again, because they still get to be together.

I found it quite affecting.

Regarding FF7: I was told about the “sad” Aeris scene, and didn’t get it at all. For whatever reason, I was just not that bothered. In fact, the idea that it evokes a sadness so deep people told one another about it and wrote about it on the internet, makes me think that many people are profoundly emotionally retarded.

Oh yeah, I’m a sap and games have made me cry a couple of times.

On a side note: I have learned, over the years of being a female who enjoys gaming, that 9 times out of 10 if a dude tells me that he cried when Aeris dies it means that he thinks I will eventually have sex with him. More than once dudes in gamestores have tried to actually open a conversation with the exact words “You know, I cried when Aeris died,” and I don’t think I was even looking at any Final Fantasy games at the those times.

What? Really? My memory must be really hazy then. What was the big sad scene then?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As a small child, to whom metroid on NES was the hardest and yet best game ever- I finally beat motherbrain, and am doing the escape sequence. My sister walks in and turns of the NES.

Oh I CRIED like mad for like an hour. Inconsolable.

I remember the ending of A Mind Forever Voyaging being pretty powerful.

Second this. There are also some scenes in the later years of the simulation, when everything is going to hell, that moved me to tears.