Can a Game make You Cry?

Was it the one with the dog?[/quote]

Yep.

That Call of Duty level with the endless stream of German tanks did a fantastic job of making you feel like you were there. Another FPS level that did the same was a relatively early Operation Flashpoint level where you are stranded alone in the woods. Both levels just make you want to curl into a ball and let someone else deal with it.

But yeah, crying from a jRPG? Jesus Christ, people, don’t turn on your TVs or ever read a book. Events with more emotional impact occur nearly constantly if you have cable. My reaction was: “Shit, now I gotta load my save to take all the good equipment off her”. Quite the emotional event when I opened my inventory and it was all there.

Uh, since everyone is also using this thread to mention works of fiction that embarrassingly affected them:
That episode of the Simpons where Bart gets caught shoplifting.
This random episode of Third Watch where 2 guys are trapped under some debris and the logistics of the situation mean only one of them will survive.
Similar to that Third Watch episode, an episode of Homicide where a guy gets trapped between a subway train and the platform.

I cried then.

I cried then.[/quote]

Thirded

That damn dog episode of Futurama. If you don’t well up a bit at the end of that, you’re not a real man. That was sad.

As for games, you have got to be kidding me. There is no gameplay that can make you cry in a game. A movie cutscene, maybe. The problem with games is that you have freedom of action and don’t see the narrative from a forced, linear perspective, so it doesn’t have the ability to tug at the heart strings.

Example:

Movie: The girlfriend of the hero dies in his arms. She whispers love into his ear one last time before she fades away. He looks up and tears well up, then it transistions to him sitting alone in his bed looking at the empty space on the bed crying.

Game: The girlfriend of the hero dies in this arms. She whispers love into his ear one last time before she fades away. The game then pops out of the cutscene and gives you the objective “Go to your apartment”. So of course, you teabag her dead body.

You have to be able to control the narrative long enough to be able to evoke a strong emotion like grief or empathy, and at that point it becomes a game or an electronic novel rather than a movie.

I doubt a game will ever be able to do this. For me, at least.

Interesting question. I have cried at the end (or even the middle) of many movies. I cried when I read the Fellowship of the Ring, and I cried when I saw the movie. I probably cried at some point in each of those movies. I cry at the end of moving television shows. In case I have been too vague, I cry a lot, and I am not ashamed of it.

However, I can’t recall ever crying during a video game. That doesn’t necessarily mean it has never happened, but I don’t remember it. I suppose Prince of Persia (sot) moved me, but I didn’t cry. There is too much downtime in games, narratively speaking, I think. I’m not sure there is time for my emotions to be set up properly for crying.

I just saw over at Bluesnews that Take-Two acquired Firaxis games. All I can think of right now is Origin . . . someone pass the tissue please.

I remember being surprised when Aeris died but not really sad. I’d already thrown my lot in with Tifa anyway.

Now the ending of Mafia got me. Even though I could see it coming I still felt kinda sad. My wife was watching me play the ending and I think she even teared up a bit.

Did you realize there were 2 endings to the game?

Ah, I just remembered another one and its sort of recent. The last cut scene in Tribes: Vengeance where the protaganist and the princess are seen sitting next to a campfire in a flashback sequence where they both speculate on the impact of their future child. It wasn’t tear inducing but it was a touching moment nonetheless because you already experienced the fate of both characters making it poignant.

Did you realize there were 2 endings to the game?[/quote]
HE DOESN’T CARE WHAT YOU SAY!

Game: The girlfriend of the hero dies in this arms. She whispers love into his ear one last time before she fades away. The game then pops out of the cutscene and gives you the objective “Go to your apartment”. So of course, you teabag her dead body.

Man, I don’t care who you are. That’s some funny shit right there.

Thanks ElGuapo.

Someone help me out. What’s the name of this episode. I have got to see it now.

“Jurrasic Bark.” It’s in Season 5.

Yes! Oh, the agony!

(By the way, we are referring to the real old skool Bard’s Tale.)

Daikatana made baby Jesus cry.

Not quite. “Can a computer game make you cry?” was one of those early Electronic Arts ads, from way back in the days when their games came in those square paper folios (about 10"x10" or so). It was a catch-phrase for the company back then.

Sadly, I can’t find an image of it.

Yes, because I have.

This is one of my least favourite videogame debates. Even stating it implies it’s still a question worth answering.

KG

This is because American dubbers mysteriously suck nearly all of the time. I once saw perhaps the most hilarious promotional segment I’ve ever seen: a half-assed “documentary” on Love Hina’s dubbing process. Now Love Hina sucked to begin with. It was a shitty, worthless show in the original Japanese. I shudder to think of the people it appealed to – total “you know, I cried when Aeris died” types. But the sheer inexplicable awfulness of the American dub was almost awe-inspiring, and seeing how they got there had me laughing too hard to breathe. It was like “American Movie,” but without any of the redeeming qualities. I still smile when I think about it.

Man, my sense of humor is dark. But that’s okay; there’s so much to laugh at that way.

WoW login is down. I’m not going to cry but I may start punching shit in a minute.

:evil: