Can I just say "Fuck Ubi and Securom?"

I use Far Cry 2 for benchmarking. I uninstall it each time I’m through - the theory being that, while you get 5 installs total, you do get one back after you uninstall the game.

This morning, when I’m CERTAIN I should have 4 installations left, it tells me I’ve reached my limit and, long story short, piss off kid.

Y’know, benchmarking is great publicity for a game, but unless Ubi (who hates Ziff Davis, my employer) is willing to work with me on this, I will take a new direction regarding whose games I use editorially and whose I avoid like the plague.

It has begun…

To add insult, I emailed securom and ubi.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject: help w/ far cry 2 - JOURNALIST
Sent: 12/9/2008 6:47 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
Ubisoft Support on 12/9/2008 6:48 AM
The message could not be delivered because the recipient’s mailbox is full.
<UBIMAIL2.ubisoft.org #5.2.2

Think ubi gets a suppot request or two?

As noted in my posts in Hardware, Ubi managed to somehow deactivate my copy as well (purchased via Steam). By eliminating the local files and redownloading I was able to prompt Steam to fork over my activation key, so it works now, but it took some jiggering to get my old save games into the right location. Between Steam and Ubi there seemed to be some confusion over which profile to install under, or some other Vista arcana. But it works now.

I have no idea how many installations this counts as, though.

Yeah, screw 'em all.

That’s bad. Unbelieveably bad. It’s one of those small things that just have to work. Always.

Respectfully

krise madsen

PS: Someone should contact Ubisoft about this. You know, like send them an e-mail or something…

I bought the game, then pirated it.

Just sayin’.

I don’t pirate. Not for me, not for work.

They must want you to go on the support forums.

Nice stance. Even though you paid for the game, which is now unusable, you won’t pirate a working copy. You are the perfect customer for them!

I’ve been that hellish route before, when it took critical mass to get Ubi to fix R6 Vegas PC (which sucked and was buggy even after it was “patched.”)

I can’t be bothered with Ubi forums.

Y’know, nothing against the fine game designers at Ubi’s design houses. I love Prince of Persia. I love Far Cry 2 when I can play it. I love Assassin’s Creed. Here’s to the programmers, artists, worker bees and creative types that make great games.

The empty suits in the company, however, need to be flushed down the nearest executive toilet.

It’s a matter of principle. I shouldn’t be forced to pirate a game I paid for to use it.

I’m comfortable taking such a stance.

Acid: Pull a “do you know who I am???” Then, write an article trashing Ubi’s “draconian DRM.” Presto Change-o.

The way Ubi is, Ziff will probably get sued over such a column.

Tempting, though.

And?
There’s nothing bad in being sued as long as you win.

Fight the power!

It cost money to win, something ZD doesn’t have a lot of these days.

What you should do is don’t get games with that kind of “protection” on them and let Ubi know why.

So the answer to the thread title is, “You can’t afford to”?

After leaping through hoops at securom and ubi tech support, I found a revocation tool…

http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/unlock/

IF YOU UNINSTALL FAR CRY 2, USE THE METHOD ON THAT PAGE TO RECOVER YOUR INSTALL TOKEN.

God DAMN, DRM sucks.

Now the dude at ubi has to talk to the guy in charge who isn’t there yet to see if they can extend my licenses. Since Ubi has a hate-hate-bile-bitter-despise-puke-angry relationship with Ziff, I doubt I’ll get any more install tokens. But, hey, Christmas is coming, so maybe mr. Supervisor will feel kindly enough to help me expose his game.

I’d like not to lose my job by causing the company to have to spend a katrillion dollars on lawyers to defend itself.