Can someone help a tired idiot with Steam Controller?

So I restarted my computer one more time, and it’s working again now? I have no idea what happened there…

Is there a way to force onscreen prompts for the controller at all times? I tend to have most functions mapped to controller functions, and then use the right touch pad as a mouse. As a consequence, in many games the onscreen prompts will jump back and forth between KB&M and controller depending on whether I’d last touched the right pad or the stick/some other button, and it’s rather distracting and irritating…

The only way to get around this (other than to have native SC support, but even that may get confused) is to map as many of your Steam controller buttons to Xbox controller buttons as possible and only have the mouse on the trackpad. This way at least most of the time the UI will stick to the correct controller graphics/symbols. This may also have the added benefit of allowing you to navigate the menus with your thumbstick/d-pad, thus maintaining the controller graphics/symbols. You could try the Mouse Joystick (to emulate mouse using the thumbstick) but I always found this a bit rough.

That’s more or less what I’ve done (and I agree on the mouse vs mouse joystick settings) but the constant use of the mouse on the right pad still keeps the prompts flickering back and forth between the two.

Oh well. I suppose I can live with it. But it would be nice to have the option to force one set of prompts or the other.

I wonder if there’s a way of manually replacing/overwriting the graphics for the UI. I might have a look into it for future reference, but if I turn up with anything else I’ll let you know.