Can someone identify this 80s fantasy movie?

I think it was 80s anyhow. It scared the hell out of me when I was a tot.

Although the actual plot doesn’t seem to have stuck with me, I recall the following features:

There was an inept wizard, who accidentally turned himself into farm animals when trying to cast a spell on his opponents; the bad guys looked human, but had completely black eyes, and seemed to be controlled by trilobite-esque parasites, which burrowed away into the dirt when their human bodies were killed; a cyclops, who although scary at first, turned out to be a good guy, saving the heroes by holding open some doors which eventually crushed him.

That’s pretty much all I remember, and I’m not even 100% certain that this is all one movie. Any ideas? I’d love to get a hold of the film again.

Krull

Thanks!

Don’t. It’s horrible.

how can you remember all that and yet forget The Glaive?

It’s mostly one of those nostalgia movies - have it on DVD and the 2-CD soundtrack to boot.

Known for featuring a lot of Dune actors and starring the guy who was the evil (well sorta) Starfleet-turned-Maquis traitor in DS9. And, of course, the Glaive, and the dubbed redhead chick.

— Alan

Liam Neeson was in that movie. Talk about rags to riches…

Krull is great and I’ll fight anyone who disagrees!

It’s certainly better than the crapfest that Jackson made of the LOTR trilogy.

Is today Opposite Day or something?

ROFL!

Hawk the Slayer pwns Krull.

-Tom

Isn’t Krull the one where the bad guys rise out of the muck in a swamp area near the beginning for an ambush? And there’s a castle that teleports around, appearing in a single place only one day a year? And a “star” who looks like a poor man’s Kurt Russell? And the three-pointed shuriken?

It’s a classic! It may be craptacular, but still a classic.

Speaking of fantasy films…
The Sword and the Sorceror

This was on cable like all the time when I was about 12 years old. I thought it was the best movie ever back then.

Krull has got to be one of the best ever B movies of it’s generation - anyone who doesn’t agree is going to have to answer to my wife, who watches it about once every 6 months (it’s in rotation with a few other “classics”).

Also, in addition to Liam Neeson, Robbie Coltrane also had his bit to play.

You and I should hang out, Tom. When Legolas started speed-shooting guys in LOTR, I was all “GO HAWK THE SLAYER ON THAT ORC, YOU BADASS!!”.

On second thought, perhaps you should stay away from me.

Is that the one where there is a warrior with a hawk that is actually his shapechanged lover who changes back into a babe at nightfall?

No, that’s LadyHawke, you fool.

with Michelle Pfeiffer no less.

Of course, in the 90s we also had Kull the Conqueror, one of the greatest fantasy films of 1997.

From the 80s we must not forget the immortal Deathstalker series.

— Alan

Krull was on TV this morning! I hadn’t seen it in quite a while, but it was worth the quick 20 minutes I got to watch.

Ladyhawke FTW though.

Immortal is the right word, as they never stopped making sequels.

Oh, and if we’re going to mention fantasy badness: Beastmaster.