Can someone recommend a good, durable toaster oven?

More to the point, why would you want to?

Creamed spinach is delicious, if a tad unhealthy.

Yeah, I was just joshin’ ya. I actually like it with a steak. Which of course is extremely healthy.

Another vote for Breville here, I think we have the IQ model, or something very similar. We’ve had ours for 3 years and it still works like a champ. Previously, I had to replace our cheap toaster ovens about every other year or so.

I’m the OP, and I’m glad to report that the cheap Oster brand toaster oven I bought for about 80 bucks (which IIRC was the Wirecutter’s budget pick) is still working fine 5 years later. The clock never did work but the timer is accurate enough for up to 30 minute cook times, and most of the time I’m using it for less than half of that.

We bought a Breville for $160 about two weeks ago. It will be a gift. Nice to know we picked right. It looked more solid, reviewed better and the sales guy (a young English guy) told me the brand was big in Europe.

Breville 25% off.

That is the middle model of the three I have seen. And that is a great price.

I dunno if that guy is actually a spammer or not. Maybe? But I don’t think he’s actually trying to sell anything.

He’s linking to his own review on a no name SEO woowoo Amazon affiliate link ridden website, as his very first post here, and doesn’t even acknowledge it’s his own review in said post.

Also, lol, his Affiliate link tag is Vegeta44.

Well at least he made an attempt to hide his intention by engaging conversationally. These spammers are getting sophisticated!

This thread must be highly ranked for toaster ovens, and he figured linking here would help his own score. Probably worth his time to make a higher-quality post for that.

Speaking of Breville toaster ovens, mine is starting to get wonky. The worst part is one side of the heating elements is hotter than the other side. Things are toasting quicker on that side. Then the controls are not always working correctly. I press start and it will turn on the convection fan for instance. I have had it for 5 years or so.

Not sure if I will get another. I kind of want something smaller.

Power to the little black and decker I bought for college ~15 years back – the thoroughly analog controls still work great, and it does its toasty little best. It’s never been especially even and it’s hilariously small, but it’s built like a tank. Digital controls on a $300 toaster oven make me super leery.

Shrug, I’ve had mine for 7 years and it still works fine, other than switching to celsius sometimes. Easy enough to switch it back. When/if it breaks I would instantly buy another one.

Yes but you make much more money than I do and don’t sneeze at the thought of that ;-)

Right?!

My DeLonghi Airsteam has three analog controls: On/off + mechanical timer, temperature, and a function knob (“broil, bake, bake+fan” etc.) that governs the top and bottom elements and convection. No digital nonsense at all, which I’m confident is why it still works.

I hate buying new shit.

BTW that Oster thing I bought still works, but at some point the badly designed door hinge (only properly attached on one side) came undone on the other side and now I have to be conscious of that when I open and close it. It stays closed fine since it’s vertical in that position.

Anyway, I feel like I should hit the thrift stores and see if I could find some over-engineered beast of old from the 1970s or 80s, when they were still building stuff here.

We bought a Ninja Air Fryer Oven for 200 dollars that is more than half less than our Breville and we are very pleased with it. It cooks fast, you can flip it up to save space and you can than open the bottom to clean it. It cooks very well and my wife just loves it. Oh it makes toast too!