Can we build better forum software?

Can I find posts liked by people I trust? So I only want to see posts where Teiman Likes this. Or threads with sufficient Liking from people who are right. So basically a weighting system for Likes. I can specify my own weights, or the forum could award a higher weight to people who don’t suck, or there could be presets: Weight all Germans x 1.3. Weight all liberals x 0.2 etc.

Seems like a winner to me.

I want the “last read post” button to be bigger.

Haha, you would have to attach meta tags to each poster, but it’s a cool idea.

+1 234

I’d love features like that.

I would love to see ghost pages gone forever.

What is “ghost pages”?

If users delete pages, occasionally the index gets out of whack and needs to be rebuilt. This results in an extra page appearing to be available, but when you click on the link to go to the next page, you actually go to the top of the existing (last) page in the thread. If you’re a little high, this can keep you busy for like 10 or 15 minutes.

“Damn, the people in this thread are some tedious mofos! They keep going over the same stuff!”

I think it would be cool if you could somehow link your own photo hosting service to the forum software so that you could attach pics from your computer like you can normally do on some forums (using the forum bandwidth) but actually the pics would be hosted off site. It just saves that unwieldy step of going to another site to upload the pics and then copying links to paste back onto the forums. I have no idea whether that is feasible though.

I think I should be able to flag threads from a variety of forums and have a meta forum created for my personal enjoyment that aggregates others as I deem fit.

+1

But I don’t know if it would be better to work more like RSS or more like email.

Not super related, but putting it in this thread just because: apparently Rockstar will “hell-ban” online cheaters in Max Payne 3, putting them into a cheaters-only multiplayer section. They don’t go the extra mile and make it a blind hell-ban (where people don’t realize they’ve been identified), since their scores are also erased from the leaderboards.

Work proceeds.

We already have something we like quite a bit more than any forum I’ve ever used.

You can also paste and drag images directly into posts, among dozens of other core gameplay (that is, reading and writing in threads) improvements.

Nifty!!

Just don’t make it too futuristic. Look what happened with Wave.

What’s the status on this? I’ve been thinking a lot about forum software recently, as I try to find a forum script that will integrate with Wordpress without requiring voodoo dolls to work properly. They all say they will…

But then you get into the problem of comments on posts vs. forum posts vs. disqus, vs. single-sign-on solutions, etc… It’s a real mess out there. I’m guessing a standalone forum that doesn’t integrate with the WP install is the way to go (like Qt3).

Newer versions of vbulletin include support for a frontpage with comments, etc. I haven’t tried it, so I can’t recommend it, but I’d look into that.

There are also various bridge plugins for wordpress and forum software like vbulletin and xenforo. We’ve tried a couple of the vbulletin ones, and they don’t work very well.

I’ve tried phpbb bridges, vanilla forums, and bbpress. All of the bridges are terrible. Single Sign On would be great. Word is that vBulletin post-sale (newer versions with the blog features) are terrible. Xenforo is made by the original vBulletin devs.

I might build a rails or node app for it when I get some time.

Yep, that’s basically why we ended up just keeping them separate here. None of the solutions were any good.

It’ll be a few more months before we have anything to show as a beta.

We are already using it ourselves to discuss the building of the thing, though, and we already like it more than any forum software we’ve ever used. But of course we are biased.

Feel free to ask any specific questions about features, etc. I already walked the list of common popular plugins for phpbb, vbulletin, xenforo, vanilla, etc and we cover most of these out of the box, except for the freakish oddball stuff.

As for login, we’ll support Twitter, Facebook, Google, possibly BrowserId. We want to leverage OAuth 2.0 as much as possible.