Can you believe I first saw a PS3 in action.. TODAY?

But so what?

So far Assassin’s Creed seems like the first game that’s going to use the power of the platform to leverage new gameplay.

With a Wii, I get an experience I can’t get anywhere else.

I think Scrax is right on two points. One, it’s probably unfair to judge a console based on launch titles. DOA2 didn’t look as good on the PS2 as it did on the Dreamcast (to my eye), and certainly didn’t look as good as most of the games that later came out for the PS2.

DOA2 did look good enough on the PS2 that if you had a previous-gen console, like the PS1 or the N64, it would be worth the money to upgrade. Of course, the PS2 also wasn’t expensive beyond the range of all the other consoles released in that generation. It also had the ability to play DVDs for the price of a regular DVD player, which was a pretty neat thing at the time.

What’s more, while it’s not fair to judge a console’s capabilities based on a release title, it is fair to judge whether or not you should plop down the current cost of a console based on the titles available right now. Wii Sports, Zelda, Raving Rabbids and that crazy controller justify the $250 + games it costs to buy a Wii. What I saw in Costco isn’t worth $250, much less $600, compared to what I can get out of my PS2.

Oh, and the second thing he’s right about is that the game probably was Genji.

MotorStorm looks really good. I have a hard time believing it’s going to get that much better for graphics on PS3 that we’ll be looking back at that game and thinking it was primitive.

Have I watched it? You quoted me saying to check the vids. :p The developer’s walkthrough had a really impressive level of an entire city. It’s something that a game like GOW with its small corridor levels can’t touch.

I’m just trying to figure out why that makes it a better game. I’m not saying it couldn’t, I"m just saying if the devs had figure out a way to make it an integrated part of gameplay they’d be talking about it.

Having said that, eye-candy usually turns interactive over the life of a console.

Lair is a dragon-flying game, so it’s pretty obvious why those big detailed environments make it a better game. Wouldn’t be much of a dragon-flying game if you had to fly around empty narrow tunnels…

Yes, but Katamari Damacy is a ball-rolling game with an even more immense scale, so it’s not like that kind of scale is something new.

Really, the leap from 2D to 3D was like going from looking at pictures of girls to having a girlfriend. Going from first-gen 3D to the next-gen 3D was like a going from having a girlfriend to having a good girlfriend. This next generation, however, is the same good girlfriend, but with better makeup and more expensive clothes. It’s the same girl, however.

The OP might just be someone that is not a graphics whore just like me.
I can play a top notch visiual looking game like “Rainbow Six: Vegas” and then go back to a 2002 game and have my fun without thinking that the older game sucks because the gfx might look worse.

For me it’s the gameplay and setting first always and so far I haven’t seen any next-gen game besides Zelda that I would consider novel / original from a gameplay or setting point of view. Lair might change that since a dragon game is not that common. We will see.

Going way beyond sounding like a marketing shill, Lair uses motion control exclusively during flight. You can have your pretty graphics and unique interface too.

Having praised Lair I think it has a LOT to prove. Personally I don’t like how fast the action looks (fireballs discharge like machine gun fire), but gameplay tweaks aside, the mechanics are there and it looks like Factor 5 did some amazing groundwork for next gen PS3 titles.

You think you saw a PS3… but can you ever really be sure?