Can you hate a movie but still respect it?

The Two Towers love just really surprises me. Outside of Helm’s Deep, to me it’s the movie I had to watch to get to RotK. Gollum was definitely a triumph of design and performance working together and firing on all cylinders, but there just weren’t too many memorable moments in the movie for me until the last half hour.

I think it really depends upon whether you’re talking the extended versions or not – Fellowship of the Ring is clearly the best theatrical cut, as the other 2 movies almost seemed designed primarily for the extended versions.

The extended version of Two Towers is also my favorite, by far, but I think it’s the weakest theatrical cut.

Return of the King has some insufferable indulgences and is almost ruined by the idiotic decision to make the army of the dead an untouchable mass of green bubbles instead of a more tangible force of undead that just swayed the battle by providing additional numbers. So naturally, it was the one awarded the Oscar.

I did a “history of film” course at uni, and the lecturer got us to watch “The Birth of a Nation”, and explained why it’s such an important and widely admired film. But, yeah, you’d really have to have something wrong with you not to hate it.

Honestly I forget the theatrical versions exist sometimes. I just don’t find much to really get into in Two Towers until the final act.

Return of the King has some insufferable indulgences and is almost ruined by the idiotic decision to make the army of the dead an untouchable mass of green bubbles instead of a more tangible force of undead that just swayed the battle by providing additional numbers. So naturally, it was the one awarded the Oscar.

The Army of the Dead change is less annoying to me than the pointless fake Aragorn death in Two Towers. At any rate, RotK got the Oscar because the Academy finally felt obligated to recognize Jackson’s achievement and reward him for all the money he made them. The Oscars haven’t had anything to do with actual film quality for a long, long time.

I went in without knowing anything about it based on a friend wanting to see it. I saw the trailer and thought, Ok, that looks pretty cool. Came out of the theatre feeling physically ill. It was just too much, one thing after another, and I still to this day feel that the trailer was very misleading in what it showed the movie to be which didn’t show the aspect of the war at all and it loses respect for that. I felt it to be too violent and gory. I signed up for a fantasy movie, not a brutally violent war movie.

I think you’re being a little too cynical here. An industry friend of mine was at some private screenings of FOTR where some of the older execs were literally weeping into their oxygen masks.

I think they gave him the award for creating a trilogy of films that are clearly going to withstand the test of time.

where the commies are the good guys, no less.

I’m gonna stay off topic here and mirror the love for the 2nd movie. I definitely rank it 2, 3, 1 as far as LotR movies. I love them all, don’t get me wrong, but I tend to pay less attention to the first as it just seems like all they do is walk. And then walk in some snow. Then walk in some rocks. Fight a balrog. Walk some more. Fight some orcs. Row a boat some. Walk some more.

However, Helms Deep was phenomenal. It is single handedly one of the best battle scenes in a movie ever. Lots of attention to details as the two attacks against the fortress take simultaneously, arrows flying from every which way as orcs fall and then with the ladders and the battering ram and oh god I want to watch it right now.

The third’s battle scenes were fun. Nothing like the awesome siege, since, let’s be honest, the forces of Evil broke into Minas Tirith pretty quickly. The Mumakil scene is awesome, but Theodon blunders by sending his riders up against Elephants and the inner war strategist in me just freaks out every time.

And the mass of green that washes over Minas Tirith is one of the coolest visual effects I’ve ever seen. Just not that true to source material, so it suffers from that.

Movies that I hate but respect? Citizen Kane. Snoooooooooooooore.

While we’re veering into totally off-topic territory, may as well add my nutball LoTR statement.

I thought Sean Bean should have won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Fellowship. There, I said it.

Two Towers was definitely my favorite of the trilogy. Gandalf appearing with the riders gets me every time.

The extended cut of Return of the King was so bad that it pushed me to sell off my copies of the extended versions of the first two. It’s like forty hours long and ends thirty-two times.

As someone who saw the movies (theater versions, not extended editions) before reading the books I would rank them in this order:
Two Towers >> Return of the King >> Fellowship

I didn’t know what to expect and between all three of them I felt that The Two Towers told the most coherent story (for a first time viewer). I also liked the helms deep battle more than the one in the third.

I also loved the Ent scenes in the movie, much more than the book. Though I did wonder how beings like the Ents could be suddenly surprised at the devastation they discover in the movie I still feel it comes off better than the book where (like someone mentioned above) the hobbits come off as observers more than anything.

This may be the most true statement posted to any forum in the whole history of forums. Evar.

But I admit to a slight bias when it comes to all things Sean Bean.

C.

Validation!

Sorry, but Tony Shaloub should have won that year for The Man Who Wasn’t There.

Bubba Ho Tep. I really, really wanted to like this movie, as I’m a screaming fangirl for Bruce Campbell, but in the end they just didn’t have enough story to fill the screen time. The end result was disappointingly boring.

Million Dollar Baby. It’s pretty cheap to market the film as a cool character study coach/fighter relationship study a la Girlfight only to deliver a complete sucker punch, but I admire Clint Eastwood’s balls in doing it.

Fuck. ^^ I knew I was forgetting something.

I understand EXACTLY what you mean here, but I still respect and love both of these movies. In Fargo the violence didn’t bother me so much, but I was horrified a couple of times in Burn. As in, wow, shit, did they really have to do that??
Which is probably why they did it.