Canadian-owned (Ryan Reynolds) US-only MNVO $15/month cell service

Just caught the funny Ryan Reynolds YouTube video for 2 companies for both Aviation Gin and this Mint Mobile. Never heard of it but apparently they’ve been around for a few years now. Of course, I’ve watched all their ads now.

Wish they were up in Canada at this price-point or close.

Well, there used to be but they were then bought out by the Big 3 in Canada.

I was looking for a mobile service when I moved to the US, and discovered that a) the prices from the big players were outrageous and b) there was this thing called Mint Mobile. In the UK I was a big fan of Virgin Mobile, also a virtual operator, so I decided to give Mint a go.

We’ve been using it for 8 months, and it’s been excellent. And you can’t argue with the price.

(Also, the ads are funny. In yet another demonstration of the uselessness of Youtube’s ad-matching algorithms, I get to see them pretty much every time I watch a video).

In Canada we used to have Dave Wireless which turned into Public but then was bought out by TELUS. Wind Mobile from Egypt or something was granted spectrum to form a viable fourth national provider but they were bought out by Shaw Cable after putting Mobilicity out of their misery. Shaw have just been absorbed into the Borg collective of Robbers (Rogers) wireless, one of the big 3 nationally. It’s expensive to build out and support a wireless network but there has to be a better way. Bell is the other national big one of the oligopoly where all the plans change lock-step with each other.

For a few months, Shaw Wireless was/is cheaper than everyone else at $15/month if you also had Shaw cable Internet at home. Who knows how long that will stay around after the Robbers merger?

Virgin Mobile was a cheaper MNVO but were bought out by …Bell (AKA Hell) so all the old cheaper MNVO-type brands have been de-emphasized and have mostly been grandfathered.

I was on Mint for a while and my wife still is. Been on it much longer than Mr Reynolds involvement. I believe it was called MintSim when I first joined.

Google, like every Google thing they do, doesn’t seem to know what to do with Fi. It will probably just get shut down without notice at some point in the future.

Fi is what I’m on now, so don’t doom me with prognostication please. :D

I was also on Ting for a while and I pay for my Mom’s plan there still. I guess I’ve tried a lot of these alternate carriers. :)

There’s some Ting Wong afoot.

Thought you were going to link this instead: https://youtu.be/AmclgO6w0C0

Fi is excellent, especially if you travel abroad frequently (without pandemic)

I’ve been on Mint for about 2 years now. It was using Sprint’s network, and now uses T-Mobile’s. Works just fine.

I’ve used Red Pocket for a long time. You can choose between ATT, T-Mobile or Verizon networks and I’m only paying $10/month since I use so little data working from home right now. I converted a bunch of family members to it as well. My parents were getting ripped off by ATT and now pay $20/month each for everything they need.

From my irregular trips to WA for almost the past decade, Sprint coverage has always been super horrible for friends and family. Glad it improved with T-Mobile gobbling them up.

I’d be happy to try Mint, but where I live Sprint and T-Mobile are basically non-functional in practice.

Is that common in most places?

Mint bought by T-Mobile. A lot "nothing will change for now"s in the announcement, so presumably prices will go up to match T-Mobile.

And they are upping their data plans for FREE.