Canadians find potential stem cell help for Diabetes

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1093212615498&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Medical researchers at the University of Toronto have discovered potential stem cells in the pancreas, a finding that could lead to new treatments for diabetes.The study, published yesterday in the online edition of Nature Biotechnology, identified individual cells in the adult mouse pancreas capable of making insulin-producing “beta cells.”

These beta cells make up the tissues in the organ that release insulin and help regulate the body’s blood sugar levels.

It’s important news for the millions of people worldwide who have Type 1 diabetes, which usually starts in childhood or adolescence, and who take insulin injections to regulate their body’s blood sugar levels. The insulin shots compensate for defective pancreatic portions of tissue, or islets.

“People have been intensely searching for pancreatic stem cells for a while now, and so our discovery of precursor cells within the adult pancreas that are capable of making new pancreatic cells is very exciting,” said Simon Smukler, a Ph.D. candidate in U of T’s medical genetics and microbiology department. He conducted the study with Ph.D. candidate Raewyn Seaberg and their supervisor, Professor Derek van der Kooy.

It’s good to know that in modern countries, medical research still goes on.

Uh, Middy? Did you read the whole article?

Did you read the word “potential” in the title?

Did you read the words “Adult mouse” in the text?

Of course. That will be banned next in the US.

Only federal funding, bucko. Big difference, not that I agree with it in any case. Medical research should not be politicized.

Right on, bucko.

So your theory is that Canadian scientists made this discovery because American scientists were afraid the Bush administration would ban research on mice in the near future and didn’t want to open themselves up to retroactive prosecution?

No, my theory is that you will attack anything I say, making me more important than you. :lol:

So you say intentionally stupid things in an attempt to bait me into correcting you and making you look illiterate?

Keep on and I’ll treat you like Desslock does lesser lifeforms. You can be ignored. :lol:

Oh, no! Not a vague threat!

I can’t believe you keep posting articles you haven’t read.

Maybe you are a bot, just scan the newswire for articles that include “stem cells” and “discover*” and then post it. Because the part you quoted included the part about it being mice.

Midnight Son hears gnats… must remember to spray.

Yeah, I don’t understand why scientists spend so much time trying to help out mice. Shouldn’t they be trying to make life better for us humans?

TrodKnee- What?

Yeah, I don’t understand why scientists spend so much time trying to help out mice. Shouldn’t they be trying to make life better for us humans?[/quote]

Yeah… there are humans who need their help! And what’s up with all the fruit fly research??? Slackers, all of them!!

Yeah, I don’t understand why scientists spend so much time trying to help out mice. Shouldn’t they be trying to make life better for us humans?[/quote]

we also give them cancer and make them become obese.

Isn’t that what the food industry is supposed to do?

Yeah, I don’t understand why scientists spend so much time trying to help out mice. Shouldn’t they be trying to make life better for us humans?

Bah, filthy humans. They will be crushed in the upcoming opening of the 3rd gate of EasTherastus in the time of the Awakening. All shall perish.

That’s great news. It would be great if they could find a cure or way to prevent diabetes.