Cancel Spotify and export playlists to something else comparable?

@jpinard there are a couple of apps and services that have access to the APIs of the various music services that allow you to replicate playlists. I used to use something called SongTwist and I think there are many competitors.

Spotify offends me with their Joe Rogan too but I am paying too good of a price sharing a Family account at $30 CAD/year. I mean, that’s sort of stabbing at The Spotify Man right?

Spotify had a deal at one point where you also got free Hulu w/ your Spotify sub, and while that’s no longer something you can add, it’s still going for people who got in back then. So that’s me captive unless that lapses or they really jack up the price.

I’d drop Spotify in a heartbeat but I have a 19-year-old music fan on my account and as far as he and his friends are concerned, there are no other music services. Dropping it’s not an option.

I did consider dropping it myself and letting him get a student account, since he’s in college now, but inertia…

Yikes. Good thing they dropped the “Don’t be evil” mantra.

I thought the same thing. It’s criminal how little they pay.

——————

Anyone know much about Tidal?

I wonder if their rates have changed in the intervening 3 years?

Tidal can be quite good in terms of sound fidelity, as they will get “masters” of many albums which can boost up to 9216 Kbps or 24 bit / 192 kHz (but for QUITE the premium). On the flipside, their library is a bit less than many of their competitors. My kid has used both them and Spotify (at least previously; not sure what he’s doing now) and found that despite the obvious overlaps, they often cover missing songs from each other’s lists. However, the top quality on Tidal costs $20 a month ($10 for premium + $10 extra for Hi-Fi) which strikes me as a wee bit of a reach when many ears (especially those my age) won’t notice a difference, but audiophiles are gonna audiophile.

I wish YouTube Music gave me no ads on YouTube (UK)! I get YouTube Premium ads all the time telling me to join up to get no ads :( Thing is, they’re all so obnoxious and my work PC can’t be ad-blocked.

I try and support artists via Bandcamp where I can knowing how shitty streaming is for artists.

I hate the way some of my YouTube likes, such as music documentaries, live clips or theory/critique videos, end up getting treated as ‘music’ on YouTube Music though. That has been an annoyance since the beginning of the merge.

why would you switch from spotify to youtube (music). YT they have Joe Rogan, too…

I am gathering that folks who use Spotify or other streaming music services either have unlimited data plans or use these services at their computer? I’ve never seen the appeal, as I only listen to music in the car, and have never had an unlimited plan for our phones. Pretty much everyone else on the planet though uses them.

I download things to my phone so I don’t have to use data while I’m travelling.

I stream music to my phone all the time and have never even scratched my download limit of 3GB, so no need for unlimited, but then everyone has their own “normal” consumption habits so YMMV.

Music streams don’t eat up that much data, I don’t have unlimited and never came close to hitting the cap with an hour each way commute.

Exactly. Audio is relatively small, and as Neil Young will tell you, Spotify’s audio quality is far from lossless. There are settings in the Spotify app to adjust the quality to even lower bitrates when you are not on wifi.

I’d jump to Apple Music but I’m part of a family plan and the plan owner (my father in law) doesn’t care enough to cancel and switch so I’ll just have to be a hypocrite and stay on the plan. I’m kind of disgusted with myself, frankly. I agree with Neil Young. And Joni Mitchell has just announced the same. She wants her music off.

Joni Mitchell joining Neil. Another legacy artist though, what needs to happen is for some of the current big artists to pull stuff.

Oh, did they pay Joe 100m dollars for exclusive streaming rights?

Spotify paid Joe Rogan 100m dolloars? That’s dumb… I hope it will bite them

Heh, my cap is 1GB, but I use nearly none of it, so I’m sure I could stream pretty effectively if I chose I guess. The thing is I don’t listen to music except in the car, and there I just use satellite radio or a thumb drive.

You don’t need to use any streaming at all. Just download the songs to your phone over wifi and play to your hearts content wherever you go. Apple Music going lossless ended my CD ripping because it no longer made sense to waste that time when there is a gigantic sea of music I can download over Apple Music that is just as good if not better audio quality. I use Apple Music over Android as well (where it is also available as lossless). Unlike my iPhone, I can use lossless bluetooth on my Note 20 with my Sony wireless devices.

Hmm, I generally do not use Car Play, but rather have a thumb drive of MP3s. I have not used Apple Music in a while, is it possible to convert to MP3 and export, or would I have to play stuff just from the phone?

I would just look on Apple Music and see if the songs are already on it. If so, make a play list with your music and download it to your phone. Then you can select downloaded music in the app and play the playlist.

Edit: Also you don’t need Apple Car Play. If you can connect your phone via bluetooth or with a USB cable, most car systems let you play media directly from your phone.