Candyman (2021) - Bee man takes on gentrification

My thoughts in a nutshell. This was, for me, Jordon Peele’s weakest offering so far. It went too far into things outside of, well, Candyman. I turned to my wife at one point and commented, “this is boring as fuck.”

It did pick up a bit but just never took a full steam ride through horror or suspense because of the breaks, explanations, murkiness of who/what Candyman really was, etc.

To be fair to Jordan Peele, he was only the producer.

I believe he also did some writing on the script. But is certainly not the only credited name in that role, which is probably part of the problem.

Ahh, that I did not know. So some sort of collaborative project, not his solo work.

I saw this; it’s don’t miss. It hits most of the same beats from the original, with a (sort of) twist at the end. It feels more relevant to me than the original, somehow.

I appreciated the Chicago architecture.

edit: I’ve also inadvertently said to myself “I could use some candy, man”… at least 4 times over the past month or so. It wasn’t in a mirror, though, so that doesn’t count… right? I’m not into summoning anything, atm.