Can't even get correct counts for a town of 80

Man gets no votes for Mayor in a town of eighty people, even though he voted for himself.

Can we say our system is a failure now?

The obvious answer is that he voted incorrectly, thus invalidating his vote. And while his friends said they voted for him, they were only humoring him to make him feel better while they voted for other, more capable candidates.

“She saw my name with zero votes by it. She came home and asked me if I had voted for myself or not. I told her I did,” said Wooten, owner of a local bar.

Which means his wife didn’t vote for him, or she would have already known there was an issue with him getting 0 votes.

That’s funny that they’re having a runoff election…

a long time ago I ran for mayor of my town (pop. 100). I’m running unapposed so I think it’s pretty much a shoe-in. There’s no campaigning in my town, and you don’t actually run so much as have people ask you to be the mayor. After a bit of scoffing you say “ok, ok, I’ll do it.” You don’t file, because that would be rude, so you run as a write-in candidate (this is a longstanding tradition in town).

So anyway, I’m at home on election night, waiting to get the call on the results. My neighbor who counts the votes phones : “Oh, I’m so sorry that you lost” - “I lost? I lost? How is that possible?” “Well, Tom [the current mayor] decided to run at the last minute and he won 18-17”

So much for the celebration we had planned.

Five minutes later, I get a call from a reporter: “What do you think about the election results?” “Well, I’m disappointed I lost.” “You didn’t lose, it was a tie!”

Turns out a neighbor was out of town, so he sent in an absentee ballot for me.

In Virginia, when an election is tied, they send someone from the Board of Elections to town. This guy wrote down the two candidate’s names on slips of paper and put them into a cardboard box. He held the box above his head and my 2 year old son reached into the box and drew a name out.

Tom’s name was on the paper.

So I ran for mayor, but didn’t win. Or lose. I tied.

The obvious answer is a cow ate it.

Jesus Christ how tall is your son?

This pic of Charlatan may help explain things:

Heh!

I know you guys like your decentralized democracy, but what’s the bleeding point of having a mayor in a 80 or 100 inhabitant town?

The county I grew up in had about 4-5000 people and it’s own council and mayor, for years there was talk of it being to small to make economic sense and two years ago it was finally lumped in (after a vote) with the two neighbouring countys now counting 15.000 inhabitants… and it’s still considered on the small side.
So 80 people ?!?!

It’s not like being mayor of such a small town grants any responsibilites. I think you just have to put up with people calling you because Jimmy is tipping cows again and leading the Pork Parade.

Ok the guy didn’t REALLY hold the box over his head, just high, and my wife lifted my son up there!

Secondly, that town is incorporated has its own water system, a leftover from the 1930s, which supplies the residents. That and the fact that it’s a historic district mean there are a few local issues that people didn’t want to leave to the surrounding county.

Did you beat your son for voting for the other guy?

No offense, but this is the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard.

Makes sense to me. With a 50-50 split, it doesn’t really matter which candidate gets the spot, he/she is equally representing the voting population. It’s an inexpensive solution.

The alternative: repeat the election process over again until an odd number of people change their vote.

Trial by combat. In a cage.

Troy

No offense, but you’re taking the selection of mayor for a town of 100 (and yourself) way too fucking seriously.

New Jersey is really bad about that. As of now, we have 567 municipalities, which gives us the highest number of municipalities per square mile in the US. The majority of which have completely independant local governments, school boards, and fire/police/emergency services. There has been a movement to start consolidating services, but even with our astronomical property taxes, I don’t think this will get off the ground.

I do get a laugh when I have to go to the store, as I have to drive thru a town completely surrounded by the town I live in. Sadly, this seems quite common around the state.

Isn’t the problem with this that the electronic voting is supposed to completely eliminate wrong votes from anyone who takes two minutes to review it?

My dad voted on a electronic voting machine, and when he was done, it told him that he forgot to vote for some obscure judge position, so he went back and reviewed each page, but didn’t see any that he’d missed. He called over a poll worker who confirmed the problem, but said that there was a technician already on his way to figure out what the problem was. At that point, my dad looked at the backed up line he was causing and just cast the ballot incomplete.

Meanwhile, although my optically scanned paper ballot was completely filled out, if I had experienced a similar problem, I could’ve just used any spare 2 feet of hard flat surface to correct it and not annoyed anyone else.

I hope that, just because they got the result they wanted this time, we don’t see a lot of the ballot reformers stop fighting for their cause.

I so could have beaten that other guy’s ass!

Probably.