Can't Own or Delete Folder (SOLVED)

I’ve got a few folders I’m cleaning up on my NAS at work, they were part of the folder redirection (like Dekstop, AppData, etc.) that we redirect at login, for users that left a long time ago. I’m trying to clean them up so I just cut/paste them to an archive volume to keep them out of the normal volume.

I got a handful of errors from the backup utility we use last night that it couldn’t backup some folders - looking at the four or five folders, they are all in the folders I archived, but didn’t make the move (probably because when I ran into one error I said “do this for all errors” and clicked Skip This File).

So I’m trying to delete them by hand and getting permission errors. I can’t take ownership, these users haven’t been logged in for weeks so I don’t believe anything could be holding these files open, and I can’t even use Takeown.

In fact, I get this hilarious message.

Yeah, no shit, that’s your entire job, Takeown. Sigh.

Any suggestions?

Access it from a Windows pre-boot environment (like a Macrium Reflect boot USB or the “alternative” OS from boot manager) and try there?

That’s a good thought. I have a feeling the NAS is holding onto it for some reason, so I’m on the phone with Dell to get an engineer. IIRC they can just blow the folders in question away at the hardware level. I have a document I made a long time ago with some screenshots with the commands to do it, but I don’t have the commands that get me into the shell mode the engineer was in to run them. Shortsighted of me. I probably thought I would remember how to do it. :)

Yep, that did it - the NAS was to blame. The Dell tech said he sees it happen fairly often, but no one seems to know what causes it. It’s an easy fix, but in order to get into the engineering side you need a password only Dell engineers have, and of course, he wouldn’t give it to me. ;) So I’ll have to just call in every time it happens, which at least so far has been thankfully quite rare.

Try messner. ;)