Captain America 3 or How Marvel Won the Comic Film World

Interesting opinion. We were talking on the way home from my movie and my wife said that she didn’t think it was in Tony’s nature to sign the Accords and I disagreed. I think, looking over Tony’s appearances throughout the MCU, we’ve seen him change from brash, rebellious, and irresponsible to slowly coming to grips with the consequences of his actions. I’ll grant that it’s not a smooth curve…he’s still pretty impetuous at times, but he’s definitely built up a lot of emotional baggage about what he’s done.

That said, I can definitely see your point about the amount of screen time he’s gotten throughout, although I think this is the first non-Iron Man/Avengers he’s appeared in, right? And as Telefrog mentioned, it seems appropriate here. I’d say a strong case could be made for calling this one Avengers 3 instead of Captain America 3, but maybe that’s because of it’s placement in the books (was Civil War in the Captain America books or Avengers or both?).

Really? I felt like he grew in this film a lot…or at least, he was crushed as his entire world shattered around him. I’m genuinely curious where he goes from this.

I’ve avoided trailers for a while, and even gotten my son into the habit. We would routinely duck out of the theater during trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Soldier, and even Force Awakens. But man, it was hard to avoid watching anything for Force Awakens, and my son got especially burned out. Still, can you imagine how amazing it would have been if they’d kept Spider-Man out of all the trailers? People’s minds would have been blown! As it is, I’ll be surprised if they don’t spoil Ant-Man in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately, LEGO spoiled the heck out of that scene prior to the movie’s release.

SPOILERS:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Hero-Airport-Battle-76051

If anything sealed the no-trailers approach for me, it was Force Awakens. I walked into the theater only knowing that there was big bad named Kylo Ren, he had a funky lightsaber, most of the original cast had come back for some amount of screen time, and there was a round droid named BB-8. Even that was way more info than I wanted, but I would have had to disconnect from the internet entirely for over a year to avoid those bits, not to mention staying out of Targets and the like as Telefrog points out.

Still, can you imagine how amazing it would have been if they’d kept Spider-Man out of all the trailers? People’s minds would have been blown! As it is, I’ll be surprised if they don’t spoil Ant-Man in the next few weeks.

Yeah, that would have been incredible. I think it would have been near impossible to prevent spoiling Spiderman given the necessity of the deal between Marvel and Sony, but they could have kept Rudd’s appearance out. Funny side note, the podcast that I was listening to during the trailers before Civil War spoiled Ant-Man’s appearance with literally no warning. I was pretty upset for a few moments about it. And that Lego set is unbelievable. Not only do they spoil the appearance, but a great part of the scene.

Someone should hang for that. Seriously.

I mean, I get that marketing and merchandising are all part of the same well-oiled moneymaking machine, but there should be some sort of embargo on these things.

Saw it this morning and loved it. Need to see it again for sure, if for no other reason than to catch some of the dialogue and easter eggs especially in the big fight scene.

Thought it did an excellent job of giving all the characters time and kept them in character as well. Which is a hard thing to do with such a massive cast. Vision in street clothes is. the. Best. Love his character and really wonder what his arc is going to be going forward.

The thing I liked about Iron Man (and War Machine and even Ant-Man for that matter) was that most of their fighting was done without their face-shield removed. I assume it’s for shooting purposes (less time with the actors than on an IM or Avengers proper film) but I’ve always thought they fought with their face showing a little too much previously. Not as bad as Andrew Garfeild ripping off the Spidey mask all the damned time, but enough to be noticeable. Not a big deal really, just something I liked. Now that I think about it, even Cap kept his helmet on more than previously.

I’d previously been a little underwhelmed with Falcon, but I thought he suit was awesome and the use of wings as shields was great. Could use a Falcon/Winter Soldier buddy road movie if Marvel ever takes some time off from tent-pole films.

Oh, and luckily I didn’t see Gawker site’s rather large spoiler headline before I saw the flick today. Jackholes even doubled down and defended it and are leaving it up (again, as an unavoidable HEADLINE).

In light of the podcast discussion, my jumbled up thoughts on the central conflict.

FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

I don’t think the movie was, or needed to be, as political as Tom wanted to make it. What Tom keeps saying on the podcast (as best I understood it) was the argument was about whether or not superheroes should have any governing oversight. And that that’s a silly debate, of course they do, see also: police. The way I saw things, the movie was more nuanced than that (although there are still a few weak points).

Tony’s arguments are basically sound in the abstract: we need oversight, and we should get onboard before they make the deal worse. Cap’s response is a little more personal and muddied; there’s some arrogance in that he thinks the Avengers are still the best ones to run the show themselves, but there’s also some legitimate concern for the specifics of the Sokovia Accords.

Cap almost changes his mind, he’s ready to sign by the time they’ve captured Bucky. He’s coming around to the idea that this might be inevitable, and that they should cooperate toward making this work instead of having something worse forced on them later. Then Tony let’s it slip that Wanda is basically under house arrest, and Cap starts seeing the worst case scenario again and doubles down on resisting this.

On the Bucky side, I don’t think this is as contrived or badly written as Tom argues either. As far as any governments are concerned, Bucky was a Hydra terrorist. He assassinated Nick Fury (unclear if the world really knows he survived based on his reappearance in Ultron, best case scenario, Bucky still attempted to assassinate him) and was instrumental in the whole Hydra/Project Insight disaster. Cap might’ve told anyone who would listen that this is his childhood friend and he (rightly) believes Bucky was brainwashed, but that’s still not going to get him off the most wanted lists by the end of Winter Soldier.

The next time the world sees Bucky is when he’s caught on tape bombing the UN. A Hydra terrorist/assassin/Russian Supersoldier has successfully blown up a chunk of the UN, and Tom thinks it’s contrived that the orders are to shoot on sight when they apprehend him? And then once he’s captured, before any real defense can be made or exploration into these brainwashing claims, Bucky breaks out and kills a bunch of people. The audience knows why all this is happening, that some of it is brainwashing, that some of it is being framed, but to the rest of the world, I really have no problem believing they’d be trying to shoot on sight for the entire movie.

To jump back to Wanda for a moment, here’s one of the weak points I’ll concede. Ross lays out the alternative to the Avengers when ScarJo asks in the initial meeting: you don’t play ball, you retire. That makes total sense. But with Wanda they jump straight to internment, as Cap points out, when she doesn’t make up her mind about the Sokovia Accords and that part does feel a little contrived. They do a clumsy job trying to make apparently reasonable legislation regarding super-heroics into a more personal threat to her identity (fun trivia: for all the differences in the specific conflict/legislation in the comic book version of Civil War, they shared this weakness). I stand by the handling of Bucky and Cap’s reaction to all that, but this part is a little bit of a cheap way to weaken the #TeamIronMan arguments.

“The Raft”, the underwater superhero prison where Wanda and three totally mortal, unpowered humans are kept, also made Ross’s agenda a little more sinister than it needed to be.

But even acknowledging those problems, I think the conflict holds up a lot better than Tom gives it credit for on the podcast.

Tony sees the big picture, where there is a real problem, and he jumps right into the solution offered. Cap focuses on the real problems with that specific solution, and even as he almost works through them and changes his mind, the personal stakes for his friends drive him to defy the rules and save his friends.

And I think the ending supports that. My read on that is Cap basically does retire. He’s rescued his friends, but he’s not going to fight the Sokovia Accords any longer. He comes back to that initial choice: sign up to be the UN’s Avengers or retire, and he retires. He leaves the shield behind, he leaves the Avengers behind. He sends Tony that letter basically telling him if the shit ever hits the fan, of course he’ll be there to help, but this isn’t the place for him.

I think this movie is more about the personal choices than a real political allegory (and it’s a bummer that Tom doesn’t see it this way, since that’s what it sounds like he wants it to be too). I don’t think the main point of the movie is trying to struggle with or fully explore the idea of oversight for superhumans (or some real world analog of law enforcement/military), I think the extent that that’s part of the plot is fine but it’s about what Captain America goes through when faced with these issues.

The point you make here is possibly why I don’t like the amount of Downy exposure, it was definitely more like an A3 than a CA film.

I will confess, as a kid, I collected two comics, Captain America and Iron Man. Loved them both so much I think I paid the outrageous sum of something like $30 (a lot in kid money back then) for Tales of Suspense #39 which is the Iron Man origin (I still have). I could never afford the Avengers #4 which I believe is the CA first appearance. But I have the CA #100 on up for a bit and Iron man #1+.

So I love both characters individually, and I don’t mind Evans sharing the spotlight in this, but this was more than just ensemble, it felt more of a Downy movie to me.

I will say I found Black Panther to be a very interesting character, and he has a really cool costume. EDIT: I also like that he was never on “a side”.

I can indeed, because while I technically saw a still shot somewhere, I forgot all about it. The surprise was a sheer delight.

It might be abstract for Tony, but it’s not for Captain. He knows what it’s like when the government is in control. A government employee didn’t even want to choose Rogers in the first place, the scientist did. Then they sent him around pimping war bonds. if the government was in control the Avengers never would have been formed in the first place. You can certainly argue whether or not that is a good or bad outcome but I believe in the Marvel world bad things happen whether superheroes are there to intercept or not.

And if given the choice between the US Congress and the President making decisions to fend off an alien invasion and attacks by gods or the Superheroes, I’m the picking the heroes. By the time the partisans got done fighting over bathroom privileges we’d all have new overlords… those of us who survived of course.

Maybe it’s not a 2 hour argument about whether or not borders on a planet are as important when you are involved in conflicts that exceed the planet itself, but I think they pose the idea fairly well. After all supervillians don’t give a shit about the Accords.

I kind of agree with the argument that CA3 doesn’t have enough political depth. CA2 was a perfect balance between the political question about freedom vs. security, and the all out rah-rah superhero action. There are lots of character depth here, like Tony couldn’t rationalise that Bucky didn’t kill his parents, Hydra did (who can, in the heat of the moment?). BUT There is never really debate in CA3 about the Sokovia accord, and the underlying principles of checks and accountability.

I never understood why the Captain choose the side he did in the Civil War comic book, and I don’t quite understand it in CA3 either. He said UN is controlled by people with agenda, therefore they should not be given the power to put the Avengers in check. But UN, or any democratically elected government in a free and fair election, is the most qualified institution to control the Avengers. In essence the Avengers are a really really really powerful armed force for the earth, so just like the armed force should rightfully taking order from the government (instead of being a power of its own and trample everyone else), the Avengers should take orders from UN. A paragon of virtue that is Captain America must have recognised this. After they stop trying to kill Bucky on sight, there is no more reason to resist.

There could have been a gitmo type argument here: can they just throw Wanda in a hole or under house arrest forever, just like those kids caught in Afghanistan being imprisoned in gitmo like forever? Can the security of the many trumps the freedom of one (albeit one extremely powerful)? This is the kind of argument that could have added more political depth here, but they just glossed over it quickly.

The only unqualified good in CA3 IMO is Marisa Tomei as Aunt May.

And IMAX 3D I saw is finally as good as 2D in terms of colour quality. Bright really is bright, not dull white.

I have no idea how to respond to this, and I don’t mean to sound like a dick as much as what I’m going to say makes me sound like a dick, but this observation undermines anything you’re about to say. :(

Maybe I’m not understanding you, but I don’t understand how anyone who lives in the modern world and has seen a news story – both of which I know are the case for you! – could say this, much less believe it. Civil War is as political as a comic book movie can possibly get short of being a comic book about a politician.

People who aren’t in the military aren’t allowed to wield the sort of power superheroes wield. Maybe The Punisher is plausible, although I’m pretty sure he’s supposed to be under arrest in all the things I’ve seen him in. But Tony Stark basically builds a tank with guided missiles on it, flies it around, and intervenes in situations that cause collateral damage. Do you think a private citizen could do that, and furthermore be allowed to drive it around on the streets? Of course not. Private citizens can’t even fly drones in certain places, much less armored suits with rockets and nuclear power cores, or whatever that glowy thing is on Iron Man’s chest.

Comic books take place in a world where superheroes live outside the law and, excepting intentionally vigilante storylines like Batman and Punisher, they act benignly on behalf of that law. The ones who don’t are black-hate-wearing supervillains. Actual real world people are more nuanced. That’s why they aren’t trusted with that power without regulation by the government (which is why I thought the comic book Civil War was about gun control, but I only know the source material second-hand, so I’ll defer to people who have told me otherwise).

There is no debate here*. You either believe the power wielded by superheroes should be regulated by a legal framework (#teamironman) or you believe superheroes are just so darn good that they can be trusted to do whatever they want without accountability, regulation, or oversight (#teamcap)! At least that’s my takeaway from the clunky political message the Russo brothers and their screenwriters tried to deliver.

Well, yeah, that’s in there too. And I’d argue it’s just as clunky, if not clunkier, than the political message.

#IDon’tCareHeKilledMyMom is the new #WhyDidYouSayThatName.

My bunk. I’ll be in it.

Although I would say there were some good action set pieces that belonged in a better movie!

-Tom

• Okay, maybe there is, but I like the sound of that opening for my paragraph.

If I may translate those two statements:

“I don’t care. He killed my mom.” = “While I may appreciate the nuances of mind control on an intellectual level, I feel an overwhelming emotional reaction to the death of my mother, who provided me with the love that I never perceived from my father. And in this moment, the weight of those emotions overrides any possible rational response.”

“Why did you say that name?!?” = “I was totally going to kill you but OMG I have to tell you about this amazing coincidence…!”

I dunno, I thought the movie did a good job of being more subtle about it. e.g. it hinted that while it’s obviously true that vigilantes are going to be a mixed bag of human nuts, that’s also true of the people who make up the government. (And the government is a monopoly to boot - although the movie didn’t go quite that deep.) I wouldn’t call it “clunky” - give us an example of a “non-clunky” version of a movie airing the same or similar ideas?

I think one of the reasons the movie is so popular is that it actually presents the two opposing camps with good reasons. Which makes it a light-entertaining take on classical tragedy, i.e. it has a bit of that weight, gives people something to ponder. It’s not entirely vapid entertainment of the kind culture is saturated with, of the kind the movie could so easily represent.

Oh yeah, before I forget, let me add that I’m not bagging CA3 (or Avengers 3 as some would call it). It is great entertainment, IMO on par with Iron man 3. It got so many different narrative strands (introduction of Black Panther, Spider-man etc.) and set pieces weaved together effortlessly, and so many blink-you-missed-it one liners and gags. This is a sheer delight for fans, and in this respect so much better than Avengers 2.

It is just that it came after CA2, which is IMO one of the better superhero movies, with a near perfect blend of depth, wit and action.

Ah, so because the government is a “mixed bag of human nuts”, I’m justified in refusing to be accountable to its laws? Thanks for the tip. I guess I can stop paying taxes, drive as fast as I want, and punch people in the face who check their cell phones during movies. Dude, a government doesn’t have to be perfect to be a worthwhile government. In fact, no one in the history of ever has expected a government to be perfect. Okay, maybe Marxists. But no one else. And our government, as it exists today and presumably as depicted in Captain America: Civil Wars, is pretty darn good. It’s silly that some of the Avengers felt the need to go all Pussy Riot.

Again, I’m not seeing how you #teamcap people have a leg to stand on. Oh, hey, you know who else is #teamcap? Those yahoos in Oregon who camped out on federal land. And probably everyone in the Tea Party, too. :)

-Tom

You managed to express that about as elegantly as the movie Captain America: Civil War. :)

But, yeah, that’s probably what they were going for. That they’re using the Tony Stark character to do it just highlights the awful writing. #NowImmaHulkOutBecauseDaddyDidn’tLoveMe

Ah, so because the government is a “mixed bag of human nuts”, I’m justified in refusing to be accountable to its laws? Thanks for the tip. I guess I can stop paying taxes, drive as fast as I want, and punch people in the face who check their cell phones during movies. Dude, a government doesn’t have to be perfect to be a worthwhile government. In fact, no one in the history of ever has expected a government to be perfect. Okay, maybe Marxists. But no one else. And our government, as it exists today and presumably as depicted in Captain America: Civil Wars, is pretty darn good. It’s silly that some of the Avengers felt the need to go all Pussy Riot.

Again, I’m not seeing how you #teamcap people have a leg to stand on. Oh, hey, you know who else is #teamcap? Those yahoos in Oregon who camped out on federal land. And probably everyone in the Tea Party, too. :)

-Tom

No but it’s reason to be as sceptical of the virtues of government control of anything as one is of private control of anything.

In fact, slightly more sceptical, on the whole (because of the monopoly factor, which exacerbates the wrongness of things going wrong when they go wrong).

On top of that, you have the factor of rational ignorance: it doesn’t actually pay to be that informed about higher and more abstruse levels of democracy, because your single vote is a drop in the ocean, and the result that you get (that we all get) doesn’t hang on it. Which is why, naturally, everything goes on personality and charisma in politics, and not policy.

It’s not really that “gummint bad”, but rather that “gummint not automatically good”. The tendency to think it is, to think that government is a panacea of some kind, is a temptation we must resist. The government may or may not be effective for some things: it has to be argued for, it can’t be assumed.

My two cents: as a Captain America movie, I thought this was a disappointment compared to Winter Soldier, even if it has fewer rough edges. As an Avengers movie, though, this is clearly the best one ever made, and bodes really well for Infinity War.

One thing I really appreciated about Civil War, though, was they kept stakes small. All superhero movies tend to ultimately dissolve into a “it’s time to save the world/galaxy” battle in the third act, removing all semblance of actual stakes from the films. Civil War expertly shied away from that. It was smart enough to recognize it didn’t have to top the spectacle of the airport showdown.