Captain America 3 or How Marvel Won the Comic Film World

So I finally saw the movie last night with my wife and daughter. We all loved it. And we are all #teamcap. I don’t think there is any doubt this is a continuation of the Winter Soldier movie, and I think it has to be viewed with that movie in mind. It also deals with issues raised in the earlier Avengers movies.

I think you have to look at CA’s background, his experience of WW2, of dealing with Hydra and Hydra within Shield to understand why he wouldn’t want an outside agency controlling the Avengers. He has no reason to believe the UN would be any different and looking at the political make up of UN why should he believe they wouldn’t eventually have issues.

I liked the Peggy Carter finale, and the Sharon Carter revelation. Again, nice callbacks to past movie events.

As for the airport fight, I enjoyed the action, and I guess I have to accept that based on the comic book origins this was necessary but I did think it was a strange combination of action and humor that seemingly rightfully so had to end in someone’s pain. I did like that it was ScarJo who eventually allows CA to escape and resolve the plot.

Cap in the comics was just ret-conned to have been Hydra all along!

All the hand-wringing over this (at least from the MCU perspective) seems silly to me. I’m sure this is a temporary twist and not a complete character reinvention, and I doubt it will ever make its way to the big screen.

Hah, I didn’t know there was hand wringing. Eventually, someday, they’ll restore the status quo. Honestly, I can’t be arsed to read much of anything in the superhero milieu since Brubaker quit Marvel.

Comics gonna comics. Steve Rogers secretly being Hydra for decades is about as dumb a twist as they come. It’s not sell-your-marriage-to-the-devil dumb, but it’s up there.

Oh God, I keep forgetting about that terrible Spider-man story, please quit bringing it up.

“Iron Man revealed as a Skrull! Is Perlmutter trying to destroy the Marvel Cinematic Universe??”

Yeah, look online and you’ll see people saying, “This twist has ruined Captain America for me! I’ll never see a Captain America movie again!” I can’t believe that people on the internet would overreact to something minor like this.

Is Spider-Man still Dr Octopus’s soul trapped in Spider-Man’s body? That is also dumb.

Well, part of the problem is that you never know what bits of comic mythos is going to stick. I thought the Death of Superman saga was supremely dumb and was glad as heck when things got back to normal. I assumed we’d never need to tread that lame-ass ground again, yet here we are in 2016 with a movie that featured Doomsday and Superman dying.

Hush being Jason Todd is dumb too, but some people love it so it stuck.

I’m pretty sure Steve Rogers being Hydra all along will be explained in another twist somehow, but the setup so far includes a lot of dumb details like his mom joining Hydra back in the 20’s and Rogers murdering people.

Oh, no, don’t be silly, of course not - they finally cleared that up.

Now Otto’s consciousness/soul is trapped in the body of a robot.

Jesus Christ, you guys are making me glad (again) that I gave up comics back in the 90s.

Nah, that ended a while back, well before the Secret Wars event. It pretty much tracked the existence of the Superior Spider-Man comic, so I guess it lasted about a year and a half. (SM is published more often than once a month, so you can’t just take the number of issues and divide by 12)

I hate to say it, but I can’t think of a single Big 2 book from the last 10-15 years that I would put into someone’s hands and say “you have to read this to understand why people love comics.” Especially if they had no prior Big 2 reading experience. It’s just too insular and self-referential now. And contrary to what the publishers think, reboots make the problem worse, not better.

I dunno. I think Brubaker’s Cap (up until his ‘death’) was pretty great stuff, and the Winter Soldier story-line was inspired. It might not seem that great after post Winter Soldier movie, but at the time, it was nuts. The one taboo character that could never be brought back, and Brubaker not only sold the execs on Bucky’s return, but totally nailed the execution.

I tried–really hard–to dive into DC circa the Johns run in Green Lantern, leading up to Flashpoint/Brightest Day/Blackest Night/one of the Crises–as he took control of editorial and started coalescing things to some extent. But they just kept rebooting and offshooting and precursing and whatever-the-hell else and I burned out shortly thereafter.

Johns’ initial run on Green Lantern is fucking awesome, though.

Agreed. Honestly, the best way to dive into current comics if you’re new to it all is through the movies.

I would have to say that, as a mostly DC fan growing up, I’ve been really satisfied with the whole Marvel movie thing they’re doing. It’s impressive, the way they’re threading everything together, that the movies work on their own and also hang together as a single story. Even the Thor movies, which mostly bore me, are interesting for world building if nothing else.

I’ve really been enjoying the Complete Marvel Reading Order website, combined with a Marvel Unlimited subscription. I’m up to the first appearance of Black Widow, and it’s been fun seeing where everyone came from.

http://cmro.travis-starnes.com

Rewatched it last night. IMO this is definitely a LOT weaker than Winter Soldier because the conflict is very artificial. In the end there is basically no conflict, other than the Cap nominally works outside the law, where the only bunch of people capable of bring him in refuse to lift a finger.

The set pieces lack intensity because in every fight someone is holding his/her punches because it is a very civil civil war. Even in the last fight the Cap has no intention of killing Tony at all times. BvS at least has real bad blood between the Bat and Supes.

The one-liners are amusing but without a meaty backbone they all feel kind of pointless and box ticking for the sake of a Marvel movie. Not as bad as Ant man but not too far off either IMO.

Well, Tony learning that Bucky had killed his parents and all the emotional baggage he carries from their last meeting had actual gravitas compared to, “Why’d you say that name?”