Captain Marvel - The Marvel Carol Danvers one, not the DC Billy Batson one

Aren’t those type of reactions standard fare for early reviews, though? Seems to me like the studios give sneak peaks of their films to the “fanboy crowd” (for lack of a better term) and then they play up their reactions (which are almost universally raving). Then a week later it hits wider release and you start to see more balanced evaluations.

Great to hear.

On a completely unrelated note, why are most heroes “captain” something or other, rather than colonel or general so and so? Obviously doesn’t make sense to just be something lowly like lieutenant, but why not higher than captain?

Critics can say anything they want, so in my experience if you see overwhelmingly positive tweets like this, the movie was pretty well enjoyed by the crowd. Now, did Marvel cherry pick reivewers that have in the past been pro-Marvel? Not sure, but as I am also pro-Marvel, these voices are probably in line with my own thoughts, so to speak.

Maybe. But a lot of movies aren’t screened, at all.

At worst, you discount this dataset due to actual/perceived bias, but it’s still better data than no reviews, at all.

What is apparently a good sign is that the studio is releasing the impressions so early.

I particularly enjoyed this succinct review. ’ # CaptainMarvel : Well, Thanos is fucked.’

Usually early buzz for Marvel movies is pretty great. Fortunately, late buzz remains pretty great for Marvel movies too, so…

And that Thanos is fucked is exactly what I don’t want from Captain Marvel / Endgame. No putting your new heroes over by making them wipe the floor with the villains your previous mainstays couldn’t…

I understand the concern, but maybe it’s a just marveling at Captain Marvel’s powers. That’s not something we’ve really seen before, and that sounds exciting. I doubt they’re going to make everyone else play second fiddle to her in the last movie. She has been pushed as a key component though, for a bit.

Not in the films though, that was just discussion outside the movies. She basically hasn’t been hinted at practically at all aside from the post credits of Infinity War.

I just said elsewhere they risk a Roman Reigns scenario if they push her wrong.

Ah yes, that classic narrative blunder!

I meant mostly through the advertisements and PR for the movie, the official kind.

If people leave the theater thinking she’s awesome and powerful is a good thing. The rest is basically trust that the story tellers will remember we already like the others, a lot.

I’m assuming Endgame is going to be a “Some of your favorites are gonna die” movie, if instead it’s a “Some of your favorites aren’t going to be around much anymore, but still safe, just generally too old for this shit”, then Cpt. Marvel showing up and being powerful enough to protect the Earth by herself could work.

Still, it’s like just a couple of weeks to go, maybe after her movie we’ll want Endgame to be Cpt. Marvel 2. :D

I haven’t seen anything official that hints at Captain Marvel’s significance in Endgame. What have you seen/heard?

Most of what I see is sloppy reporting or exaggerated rumor-mongering from fan sites and garbage like cbr.com. I try to tune that out, so it’s possible I’ve tuned out some legitimate PR or hype for her involvement in Endgame, and if so, I’d like to know what Marvel has said.

Omg I’m dying

Coming from someone who doesn’t really know the comics or this character, a pretty powerful looking space based hero who says she can end a war, tied to Nick Fury who actually tries to page her as people poof around him, and the fact Dr. Strange knows about one future win… i think they’ve lined her up as huge piece the puzzle but not at all or the only piece.

That’s just a combination of trailers, interviews, and the experience of MCU as a whole.

I still cringe every time she talks, so I am not riding some sort of this has to be and can be nothing but the best approach, but man what tiny bit they’re showing, it looks huge.

All I keep seeing is clickbait about Hugh Jackman being in Endgame. Clearly they need Wolverine’s adamantium claws to stab Thanos.

Gotcha, that makes sense, and I think it’s a reasonable reaction. I just get annoyed when I see fan sites use that reasoning and then declare it’s definitely how Endgame will go like they’ve read the script or something.

I hear you. I only see those in Social Media or mostly here. If I understand what they’re showing, she can fly in space right, not affect by the sun or draws from it or something… like one of those things that almost killed Thor. Looks promising to me!

There is a 50/50 chance Thanos wiped her out in the finger snap. Or they may have some comic book logic saying she is immune to that.

Only Dr. Strange knows, but it will be fun for the rest of us to find out!