Captain Marvel - The Marvel Carol Danvers one, not the DC Billy Batson one

I think everyone assumed WW would be trash like everything else in the DC movie-verse so they didn’t bother.

Keep in mind you’re trying to convince a guy who (in another thread) suggested that Gamergate was truly a righteous crusade for ethics in journalism.

Wait, it wasn’t?!? (j/k)

Wonder no more!

You’re allowed to have a female superhero as long as she doesn’t shove her feminism in your face. Or make it obvious at all. As long as women know their place, it’s cool, I guess.

I honestly don’t remember, did Gadot say much related to feminism in pre-release press? Is that the difference, just that whatever the movies are actually like—and almost no one fussing yet is in a position to weigh in on Captain Marvel—Brie Larson “dared” to bring up issues like that in interviews?

But it was “in their faces” in Wonder Woman! Like, the most famous scene from the movie is literally Wonder Woman being able to withstand No Man’s Land by shielding herself from their attacks. I don’t know how it could be more pointed.

WW also gave Chris Pine as much if not more of the agency and responsibility as the lead. So much so that I was kinda put off by it.

Gal Gadot has actually said something like: if you are a not a feminist you are sexist. She’s not really passive in this area, but the push against Captain Marvel seems a lot more coordinated and bigger than what she got.

Why would that put you off? Would it put you off if Pepper Potts had a greater role in Iron Man?

Superheroes being able to withstand bullets isn’t some kind of a subtle allegory. There’s no subtext there to read. That’s what superheroes do. They have superpowers.

I think you’d have a stronger case with e.g. the women’s suffrage themes from the London sequence of the movie. But I have this vague recollection that it was kind of played for laughs (e.g. the “where I’m from, we call that slavery” punchline).

But Wonder Woman smiled. And she was so pretty when she was doing it.

I think TF was referring to the fairly on the nose aspect of her surviving No Man’s Land.

Pshh WW, Tolkien did it first.

Yeah I recently rewatched WW and the way Chris Pine constantly cut her off, and then she just meekly accepts it, is just not very feminist. “I’m Diana, Princess…” “Diana Prince”. (And then no complaint!). One of the feminist complaints is that women is not being taken seriously in day to day conversation in that they are more often cut off mid sentence by men (just remember how often the Donald tried to cut Hillary off mid sentence in the presidential debates).

I dunno. I mean, Chris Pine told her he was going to kill himself and she tuned him out. He didn’t take it personally and just killed himself. Or maybe he did take it personally. Either way, she just womagnored him.

I don’t mean to make too much of a mountain out of this molehill. I was just surprised and kinda taken aback that so freaking much of the film Wonder Woman revolved around this dude.

IMO it’s a venal sin at worst, and honestly pretty low down the list of sins in what I thought was a mediocre movie with a couple good bits overall.

This still makes it the best non-Nolan DC film with a bullet, obviously. And Godot was I thought quite charming (and of course jaw-droppingly gorgeous, like wow).

I dunno, I just don’t have that strong of feelings one way or the other I guess. I’m frankly a lot more moved by the (meme-y, to be fair) sentiment I saw from women around release about how happy they were to have the princesses they grew up with grow up themselves into warriors and generals. I certainly don’t think WW is some kind of regressive terrible blight on the face of what passes for American culture these days.

Well Diana, at that point, doesn’t understand the world she is trying to protect. I thought it was kind of the point of the whole end battle; she finally understands man’s, human kind’s nature, and even knowing it she still fights for it. I mean it’s not against equality to rely on someone for information you don’t have. She’s uncertain earlier on, not about her goal just what it all means to everyone else… and ultimately she gets two messages, chooses one.

17 posts were split to a new topic: “Race realism”? Uhhh… (warning: contents of this thread may be toxic)

It wasn’t very clear in the movie, but at the point when Chris Pine was pouring his heart out, WW was concussed by a bomb and couldn’t hear or think straight. Then at the climatic moment when Ares said men have no redeeming value, WW magically figured out what Chris Pine was saying. LOVE!!!111 Talk about contrived plot.

Ok so I got to go and see this last night at a preview. The acting is excellent, the cat steals the show in literally every scene he is in. The effects are much much better in the final movie than the trailers.

There is a very nice nod to Stan Lee.

Lots of spoliery stuff below.

But the pacing and tone seemed to me to be inconsistent between scenes. Im not sure the directing was up to the task. They tried to do too much and introduce too much in it.

It is quite slow and part of the reason for that is:

- lets introduce the kree

- lets introduce the skrulls

- lets introduce Kree Vers

- lets have Fury and Coloson

- lets now have a buddy movie

- lets now have Carol’s old friends

- lets now have ‘surprise’ the Kree be the bad guys

- lets now have Captain Marvel – who we have been waiting for all MOVIE.

So just as we finally get Carol in all her glory the movie ends. WTF!

How Carol gets her powers is consistent with the comics and Annette Benning actually being Mar-Vell was a complete but pleasant shock to me.

How they wrote around Carol not being present in the rest of the MCU and no one in space eg the guardians knowing about her was actually quite well done and dealt with why wasn’t she there in the first Avengers movie.

And now a complete rant.

Everyones favourite MCU macguffin is back. Blue and all cubey that’s right the tesseract.

Tesseract timeline (Thor / Captain America / Avengers / Infinity War / Captain Marvel).

- Early history. In Norway with villagers possibly as a result of the Asgardains leaving it there after battling frost giants.

- 1940’s - removed from Norway by Red Skull and used to make weapons

- 1944 / 1945 - ditched in the arctic during fight between Captain America and Red Skull

- late 1940’s - Howard Stark retrieves it and then… nothing

- 1990’s Professor Lawson nee Mar-Vell - discovers it in a joint USAF / NASA facility and removes it from earth for at least 6 years.

- 1990s returned to earth and regurgitated by Goose

- 2010’s Steve’s been asleep almost 70 years

- Used by Loki to start Avengers events

- Taken with Loki to Asgard

- Stolen by Loki ‘You really are the worst brother’

- Destroyed by Thanos and infinity gem retrieved.

Seriously are they suggesting it got ‘filed’ and no one looked for 50 - 60 years. This is arc of the covenant level stuff from Raiders. You would think the Shield might be a little more interested than that.

All in all pretty good, but to me not one of the best MCU movies.

A more focused sequel would be super cool. But sadly where’s goose been all this time since he’s been on earth.