Car accidents (and unmanned vehicles). But mostly car accidents.

I can only speak to the unnamed organization I belong to and whispers I’ve heard from others; basically, no, but there are often contracts with the host city which effectively create profit-sharing between the enterprises. Professional teams - for the most part - don’t own any buildings or properties which are used by the public. Instead, they have long-term lease agreements (and disagreements, to be fair).

$5 each way surcharge for sporting event/concert/arena drop-off or pick-up. Surcharge is passed back to the arena from the car companies.

Alternatively, ticket prices could just go up by $5 each and you’d recoup the $10-$20 per car parking fee you used to get and then some.

Haha! That’s good. I think we need to quit our day jobs, move to L.A. and start writing T.V. sitcoms. What could possibly go wrong?

Yea, I find it hard to believe that the teams/cities/counties would willingly just give up any income. It would be made up elsewhere.

I have a friend who Uber’d in and out of Dodger stadium last season. He said the Uber drivers were just in line like taxi’s at a certain place in the parking lot.

Sounds pretty illegal, but I don’t know how LA rolls on that front. Over here you can’t do street hailing (legally, plying for hire) without a licence.

You call Uber and I guess they just line up the Uber drivers at some location. Otherwise finding one car in a parking lot like that would be impossible.

So yeah, there goes ride sharing for a lot of families. I’m sure it varies a bit by state, but SC still requires a booster car seat up until 8 years old, so it isn’t like this is just going to be a problem for families with triplets or kids very close in age.

Plus, who’s maintaining these? Who’s vacuuming the cheerios out between rides and cleaning up the vomit? The longer I think about this, the more ride-sharing and car seats sound almost mutually exclusive.

Does anyone know of examples currently where ride-sharing offers anything targeted at families? Even at a small, expensive, on-demand scale—not any kind of ubiquitous ride-share future scenario—I’d be curious how effective it is.

There are quite a few. Ride-sharing is having a moment. You know all the jokes about It’s like Uber for X? “Your kids” is an obvious “X”, because who wants to drive screaming banshee hellspawn around to soccer practice and interpretive tapdance and whatever? The market is obviously ready to give you money, if you can make it work right.

https://www.hopskipdrive.com/

http://www.kangoapp.co/

https://ridezum.com/

I mean when I was in India I had the regular Uber option, and Uber Pool options. Uber Pool worked best when going to areas with high traffic, like the malls and stuff.

So it definitely already exists, just isn’t a very used feature.

Uber pool is incredibly popular here, because it’s cheaper and the price is set before your ride.

Several of these are just for regularly scheduled rides, or at least rides scheduled a day or more in advance. They’re also pushing the safety and qualifications of their drivers. That’s all important and there are good use cases for this, but none of this is convincing me that they can address the day to day problems of a parent watching kids who needs to go somewhere without warning, or a planned trip but with a departure time dependent on the kids. The fastest was the one that offered rides as “quickly” as 30 minutes.

If the plan for today is grocery shopping, I can call an Uber, wait five minutes, have it take me to the store, and then do the same when I leave. If I’ve got an infant and two kids, that might look more like going to the grocery store when the infant wakes up from their nap, and then the hassle of trying to schedule your ride back so you’re not racing the clock in the store, or stuck with the kids waiting around for your ride home.

I think there are ride sharing services that could help families with kids, but I’m struggling to imagine ride sharing services reaching the ease of use necessary to replace a family car.

Just out of curiosity, how are things going with you, @TimElhajj?

We’re all good here, thanks for asking. It was a weird weekend, and I’m hopeful it’s all in the past.

Heh, I’m amused that this thread has taken on a life of its own. Would it be strange to change the title to reflect the new direction of the thread or would that be counterproductive? Maybe one day I’ll have an update to my car situation and people will accuse me of being off topic.

Haha, have you met parents? They don’t go out and get a child seat they get THE child seat. Some of them also need three, and they had better be installed correctly.

This forum needs a like button.

I know someone who has a kid in junior high, 8th grade I think, happens to be one of the fastest in her age group in the state, with colleges already lining up for her, but she still needs a car seat based on California law.

That’s like 14 years old. They require 14 year-olds to be in carseats? The boys are starting to have facial hair!

It is based on height and weight. My youngest daughter would have probably been in the same boat, but when she was that age the need for a car seat was only age based.

Weird thing is that girls mother is probably 5’-9" and built like a linebacker.

Googling it apparently a kid can come out of a car seat into a booster seat after age 6 and 60 pounds but I couldn’t find when they could get out of the booster seat.

My nephew #1, by age, is 9, he’s still in a booster seat. Nephew #2 is in the bottom 20% of size. Unless he hits a growth spurt I feel like he will be in those forever.

Depends on price and battery range. If you can offer an EV for $20,000 with a range of 250 miles, I think sales will soar. My experience with my Leaf is that they are cheaper to operate. In nearly two years of driving I’d spent less than $40 total on it. I didn’t spend more until I took it to the dealer to get my inspection and they did their dealer thing of doing the recommended maintenance and charged me $200.

The unanswered question about EVs is longevity. How long will my Leaf last before the battery needs to be replaced? But if you can sell them cheap enough, people can buy a new one every 5-6 years.