Car accidents (and unmanned vehicles). But mostly car accidents.

Yes - Michigan.

Not every accident is technically the result of someone breaking a law. And I think they can, upon investigation, cite them later.

But in today’s world of “shared guilt”, insurance companies often take the approach that both cars share some of the guilt.

I thought when you got rear-ended that meant it was absolutely the other guy’s fault.

It probably varies state to state, but generally yeah.

Was she in the parking lot (already clear of the road)? Quite possibly it is not technically a moving violation if it happened on private property, thus no ticket.

Argh! Thread Titles!

PICK ONE!

I was looking to see if @TimElhajj had an update on how things turned out? You may have told us and I missed it, but were those guys scamming you a little?

REPORTED

@Scotch_Lufkin I haven’t heard from those guys in a while. I guess it’s over. (and sorry about the title: this is such a kooky thread, and it doesn’t help that I’m completely uninterested in driverless cars)

LOL fair enough. :)

I am glad they seem to have dropped off the radar. What a crazy situation. Hopefully that’s the end of it!

So driving home from work last night on the freeway we went past a multi car pile up that had just happened. Several cars had already stopped to help and so we just continued on our way. I found out this morning someone died in it. Someone apparently lost control on a dry road and hit both the right and left edges of the freeway before hitting other cars.

Reports say no indication of alcohol or drugs, anyone willing to bet it was a cell phone?

No takers.

What gets me is that I see people in late-model cars, all of which have (AFAIK) Bluetooth/hands-free capability, still driving around with their phone glued to their head, held there by a hand that should be on the wheel. I mean, even if you have a clunker w/o Bluetooth, how much is a cheap headset? Twenty bucks at WalMart?

As someone who holds his breath every time his son gets behind the wheel and is driving on the highway, I want people caught texting while they drive (or checking email, or whatever) to be treated as drunk drivers in the eyes of the law. Intolerable.

I suspect my oldest daughter probably was in an accident because of her cell phone use. No proof, just a weird excuse as to how it happened.

But personally I would have no problem if the local cops decided to fund raise by concentrating on ticketing cell phone users.

I suspect a cell phone in the last THREE accidents by my 22 year-old nephew. None of the explanations seem plausible, beyond he’s just a horrible driver. I’ve not seen then when riding with him, so I’m going with, “distracted driving.”

There was a safety driver monitoring but no indication that the vehicle slowed. Wonder what happened.

I read a post on Reddit today about someone complaining that they were given a ticket for using their phone in a “hands-free” zone. They then explained that they’re deaf and were conversing with another deaf person… using sign language… with their hands… while having to look at the screen to see what the other person said.

Their cries of injustice did not go over well with the community.

I heard one report that indicated the pedestrian just walked right in front of the Uber self-driving vehicle - if that’s the case I don’t see how we can blame technology for failing to predict random movements.

I have no words

So the woman who died in the accident I described up thread turned out to be a co-worker. She was one of my refresher teachers. Bummer.

Did I ever mention my mother died in a multiple car pile up?