Car buying advice - Honda Fit Sport

I would also recommend the used car, due to the depreciation angle.

As for the fear of buying a car that’s been flooded, don’t flooded cars have to have a special (salvage?) title? If you bought a car that wasn’t retitled but should have been, that sounds like lawsuit jackpot territory!

But seriously, I think if you exercise caution in the purchase, it should be possible to get a good used car that you are confident wasn’t flooded.

What am I looking for? I really am not sure. Something moderately fun to drive as I have been driving an SUV for 20 years. With 4 doors. And good air conditioning. I know that describes every car but I do not want something tiny that I have to make a huge effort to get in and out of like a BRZ which sits on the ground. But I want something that is quiet, nimble, moves when I hit the gas, can make a trip to the grocery store a bit fun, can put people in the rear seat for 10-15 miles without being too cramped and is reliable.

So that is why I am looking for suggestions, both used and new.

As for used cars I freely admit that I am a car moron. I know nothing and have no desire to learn. I do not have a mechanic that I rely on because my cars do not break down much. I do know how often to take them to the shop for servicing though.

So where is the best place to get a used car? CarMax seems awfully expensive.

Internet search is a handy way to isolate models and years you want in your area. After that it’s up to you to negotiate. I don’t know too many people that enjoy working with car salesmen. If you hate negotiating then Carmax is a place where they don’t haggle but they also set an ok price rather than a great one. If you’re looking for a deal you’ll have to negotiate; if getting a killer deal isn’t as important as getting in and out of there relatively efficiently then Carmax might be fine.

If I could sum up my experience and advice, it’d be to find what you want, use various sites to get a ballpark value of the used car, pick a price you’re willing to pay and then stand by it. Make them work for you. Don’t get attached to any car no matter what. If they say that deal won’t be there tomorrow it’s bullshit; either it will be there tomorrow and they’ll keep lowering the price or it will be sold and you just go for the next one because ideally you’re not attached, not in a rush, and not picky.

There is that one site, carguru or something like that that actually shows interesting stats about when the car was first listed, how long it’s been on the lot, how the price has changed over time. The bastards blocked some of those stats for Texas residents because some car executive must have slept with a politician, but those are really interesting because you can see how each passing month a used car sits on the lot the dealership will make adjustments to make it more palatable. Remember they need you more than you need them, they need to get rid of that inventory.

When you go, be businesslike about inspecting the vehicle, even if you’re not a car expert. Look at things you can see like the condition of the body, the remaining tire tread, and things like overspray that might indicate a previous accident. Be careful because sometimes Carfax doesn’t always show all incidents in a vehicle’s history. One time when I bought a used car I told the guy he had to replace a bald tire before I’d buy it and they did it no question without changing the price, which could be good or could mean I overpaid LOL.

And of course they’ll try hard to sell you the extended warranty. Consumer Reports typically doesn’t recommend those but some people buy them for peace of mind.

If you shop carefully, you can sometimes find a certified used vehicle with similar (or even better) warranty coverage than new and save a ton of money.

With your parameters in mind, how about an Alfa Romeo Giulia?

Bernie covered most of the basics. If you’re adverse to negotiating and getting a used car. You can look at using Costco’s car buying service or Truecar which work with local dealerships and come up with a pre-determined price so you don’t have to deal with that hassle. It won’t be the absolute best price you can get but from what I read/heard it’s a generally a good deal. And even with that, it should still qualify for any manufacture incentives/rebates.

I would like something reliable.My recollection, albeit an older impression, is that ARs are not sturdy cars. Also that one would run $40k and while I can afford it I prefer not to go that high.

Thanks to all. Please keep those suggestions coming I did not even know about Truecar.

I was thinking gently used.

Just be sure to line up your financing before hand, if you are going to finance. Having that in hand gives you a lot of confidence, and you can then actually see if the dealer can come up with better rates–sometimes they actually do, especially if you already have a decent financing offer in hand.

Used, especially CPO, seems to be the best financial route to take if you are going for a luxury brand, as the depreciation is awful and most of them are leased so there usually is a good selection of cars. Sadly, most leased models are pretty basic, for people who want the badge but don’t know much about or care much about the car itself. Finding a performance model or one with the stuff you want used can be trickier, especially if you want the sort of safety gear that has only been out for a few years now.

Really, though, check out the GTI/R. Hell, check out the Honda Accord. That thing with the 2.0 has the exact same power figures as an Audi A4, the ten speed auto is supposed to be great (you can even get a six speed manual, but not in the highest trim), and the fully loaded Accord with the 2.0 is under $40k. Haven’t driven one, but the reviews are very positive.

The engine in the Accord, well the good one is actually the same one that is in the Civic Type R, detuned a bit. Though not sure how it handles but it should be decent power wise.

As for the GTI, when I had it I thought I hated it but looking back I really miss it now. It handled great, in the dry, rain and snow, actually took the test drive on a very snowy day and it was amazing how well it tackled everything. It wasn’t too low but also wasn’t very high either. It had a good amount of power where you never felt slow and could get you into trouble if you weren’t careful. Very practical and roomy too, had no problems in the back and I’m a big guy. I would take a look at it again, maybe a different dealership if you’re interested. But you have a lot of options at your price point, take your time and I’m sure you’ll find something you will like and enjoy.