Car ownership has jumped the shark?

It may not have been peak oil but it may have been peak car.

I am against your overly broad use of the term “Jumping the Shark”.

It’d be nice if that chart was legible.

So that chart and article are really just an incredibly complicated way to say that car sales are way down right now? Because I think everyone already knew that without the chart. The rest of his argument is wildly speculative, i.e. “Even if they manage to hold on to their old clunkers for a bit longer than they otherwise might have done, the total number of cars per 1,000 people is likely to fall quite dramatically: a year or two of this and we could be back where we were ten years ago.” Er, okay. According to his chart, car sales dropped very recently, so I’m not sure why we’re supposed to assume that everyone is driving clunkers. And people deciding to hold onto their current cars for a year or two longer than they would in a strong economy is not going to make overall car ownership drop.

Get some glasses you old responsible man ;).

Haha I do have some :(

And I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have spent my vacation money on laser eye surgery.

That’s why I have the question mark. If he was reading his very own chart he’d see a similar decline in the 70s. So I’m wondering why he’s not reading his chart and saying once this downturn is over we should be back to buying more cars than ever.

Every time I see someone claim that the overall long term trends have changed due to a short term event I get very suspicious.

This started when I was right out of college in 1999 and the first Wall Street Journal I picked up had a whole supplemental section explaining why we would never have a traditional recession again. The economy was too diversified and the global nature of trade would prevent this from happening. I knew it was junk theory from the moment I read it.

I came for the jumping of sharks.

I left disappointed.

Yeah. And considering that the downturn has hit the lows of the 70s (and seems to be going down) we should expect to see it hit lower points.

I’ve got a quote from great financial commentator for Felix, “it’s the economy stupid.”

The yellow Hummer short bus market is saturated!

You may be right about that. The chart of personal ownership of military class vehicles is probably a much easier one to interpret.

I’m constantly surprised that a friend of mine’s boyfriend is 28, and doesn’t have a car nor a driver’s license. Yet, he manages to survive in Virginia. New York or DC maybe, but Richmond? Do not advise.

So, is leasing the way to go now?

Jumping the shark has jumped the shark.

My wife and I are in our 40’s and neither of us have a drivers license. Cars just seem like such a money pit. Often our friends comment on how nice our house is and how nicely decorated, and we say "Yeah, the secret is no car, no kids" :p

and we say “Yeah, the secret is no car, no kids” :p

Well, no kids anyway. Cars don’t have to be money pits. My (paid for) Mustang doesn’t give me trouble but once a year and it’s a couple hundred bucks to get it dealt with. It’s well worth that and the price of gas to be able to go anywhere I need to on my own schedule.

I’m 28 and while i do still own a car I almost never drive it (i drive it about once every month and usually for less than 20 miles when i do), and if it died I would not replace it. It’s been this way for me since early 2006 and I would never go back, the actual experience of driving is just frustrating biking is way more fun. Its amazing how much money you save, I think I paid for gas twice last year and other than one oil change haven’t had to do any repairs.

Do you guys live 15 miles from your job, with no public transportation available?

Biking everywhere sounds great until that somewhere is more than a few miles away. And requires you to bring something larger than an envelope with you. Or you need to be there within the hour not covered in sweat.

Only if you hate money.