Care and Handling of Sonicare brush

Rather than resurrect an old thread, I’m starting a new one.

My Sonicare handle is getting pretty gross… y’know “down there.” I’ve tried to get into the cavity with a damp tissue, but there’s too many nooks and crannies, and there’s some disgusting black stuff growing in there, I’m assuming from water that’s been left in after a brushing session.

I’m not sure if the handle is immersible, and I’m not sure if that will even do the job. Anybody have any strategies for cleaning it out, and once it’s clean, how do I keep it that way?

You brush your teeth with a brush that has black stuff growing on it?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

It’s good for you. Keeps your immune system in shape.

Also, replace “handle” with “anus” and “brushing” with “man on man action”.

Good times, good times.

The base is waterproof.

But really, the best thing to do is to just keep the damn thing clean. Twist the brush tip off after each use so that it is always aired out. Otherwise, yeah, you’re going to cultivate mildews and slimes. Your saliva and toothpaste spit dribbles down the brush stem, through the seams of the ball joint, and into the darkness of the resonance chamber. Nice place to grow shrooms and slimes.

Disassemble your toothbrush after each use, rinse it out, and let the base and brush tip dry separately. Don’t be lazy.

The base is waterproof.

But really, the best thing to do is to just keep the damn thing clean. Twist the brush tip off after each use so that it is always aired out. Otherwise, yeah, you’re going to cultivate mildews and slimes. Your saliva and toothpaste spit dribbles down the brush stem, through the seams of the ball joint, and into the darkness of the resonance chamber. Nice place to grow shrooms and slimes.

Disassemble your toothbrush after each use, rinse it out, and let the base and brush tip dry separately. Don’t be lazy.

Make sure you spray strong water into the open end of the brushes after you use them. Otherwise, gunk gets in there which then drips into the tray underneath. I’ve learned to rinse mine off very well and it only take me about 10 seconds or so. I rarely get any gunk in the tray at all, and only need to clean it about every 6 months (just because a little bit of leftover toothpaste finally accumulates).

Last week, the LCD display on my Sonicare refused to display. This week, it refuses to work. I’m debating taking it apart to see what I can do.

Yes, I charged it.

I use an old (regular style) toothbrush to clean out that bit of the handle, and the charging cradle too. I find it mildly amusing/geeky that I get copper deposits on the charging cradle, presumably because there is a bit of electrolysis going on.

Actually, I do remove the brush tip every time. I think it’s just that the “saliva and toothpaste spit” has indeed “dribble[d] down the brush stem” and that’s why I get that black guck.

I will try giving it a good rinse and dry tonight. I was afraid the handle wasn’t waterproof (the charger base apparently isn’t), but I’ll take your word on it, Roger!

Thanks.

Good advice on using a toothbrush, Jojo! I’ll try that, too!

Thanks guys.

You know damn well the only solution here is to DRILL HOLES IN IT.

A q-tip also works well if you don’t have an old toothbrush lying around.

Tried that… didn’t quite cut it.

Great Scott, you’re right!

If only someone had pointed out the utility of drilling holes in LCD screens before! Once again , Qt3 is the only source of information I need.

I admit I’m a bit of a slob in that regard, since the base never goes in my mouth. I shouldn’t be, though.

I tip the thing down vertically into the sink, brush down, and let it buzz away for several seconds. Flings the water off something fierce. I don’t get scum problems any more. (Well, maybe just a little toothpaste crust, but no mold.)

Is it really humid in “T’rana”? Just curious. Perhaps you should disinfect the base after you clean it. Pour a little Listerine in there and let it hang out for a bit?

Regardless, keep us posted on how it turns out. Please and thanks.