Cascadia, For All Things Pacific Northwest

Seattle has only hit 100F three times in the past 100 years. There’s a chance it will hit 100F three days in a row. Yikes.

Looks like we are gonna have to turn on the AC this year…

And those of us without air conditioning will burn with envy. Possibly literally.

This weekend will be one of the few times a year that my downstairs/semi-not-really-basement apartment becomes a glorious thing. I never, ever feel the heat. Plus, we put the super-classy above-ground pool in the back yard up a few weeks ago, and that should be pretty sweet as well.

But yeah, seriously, stay safe the rest of you. One of the things folks not from around here might not realize is that something like less than 20% of homes in the area have any sort of air condoning. Weekends like this are tough.

Yeah, the number was something like 50% in Portland, though trending up over the years.

I figure this is a good time to do a consumer test of various body cooling products. Got a cooling blanket, skull cap, some towels, and two different kinds of gel packs.

I do have a portable A/C unit for the bedroom, but it’s a bit underpowered and my house has terrible insulation, so it’ll be struggling just to keep that one room tolerable.

My exact situation. Downstairs stays relatively cool, but my upstairs home office will be hell

Okay, I recognized the URL on your photo link… I know Todd from the improv community – he’s taken pics at the Seattle Festival of Improv Theater when my kid and I were performing there! We’ve talked cameras a bit. :)

“It’s a small world, but I wouldn’t want to paint it.” – Steven Wright

Cross posting this coast recommendation for the benefit of others, rather than consigning it to the PR Climate thread.

@DraiAC if you want more tips and ideas, hit it here :)

The Oregon coast is incredible, and we spend a lot of time there. In fact we just had a camping weekend a few weeks ago down at Newport.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, this came up last year during the thread when we were talking about the Seattle get-together that got canceled due to covid. You do/did stuff with Jet City, right? He’s also been the house photog there for years. It looks like no one clicked that link, which is a bummer. I would have just posted his photos, but he’s really anti- that sort of thing, and I respect his wishes. The two shots of Mt. Adams across Takhkakh Lake (one day, one night) with the perfectly still and reflective water are great.

I did really like the night one with the stars reflecting in the lake

Yeah -3.9 ft tides the next two days at our place

Nice! I don’t think the local spots get any lower. -1.9 is the lowest I’ve seen anywhere on the Oregon coast.

Though I remember some of the winter 2019-2020 tides, with storms coming in, were crazy high. It was basically +death tides, with the waves cresting 20 feet at spots.

My sister just borrowed a sleeping pad and solar charger. They’re going camping, so they’ve got the right idea.

Oh, right! I forgot. The get-together that was literally scheduled for the weekend everything started getting cancelled. And yep, I do stuff with both Jet City and UP.

I did click the link (that’s how I knew it was that Todd), but I right-clicked and opened in a new tab… Apparently Discourse doesn’t catch that kind of click.

Huh, I never knew. I always do this.

Thanks for all of that info! We have done one day at Cannon Beach, but we’re not there at a low tide time, so that is high on the list to get back to.

This weekend will be Newport as we grabbed a hotel on the beach there since everything in Cannon Beach was long gone with the heat wave. So thanks again for the Yaquina Head area to check out. This one was very much a last minute “how can we escape the heat” endeavor without any real research into the Newport area.

In Newport, an excellent place to stay is the Sylvia Beach hotel. Named for the American woman who started a bookstore in Paris (Shakespeare and Company) in the early 1900s, and published Joyce’s Ulysses and Hemingway’s first book. The hotel sits on a point overlooking the ocean, and has a big library, no wifi, and every room is themed after an author. Poe, Verne, Rowling. A couple years ago when we were there we stayed in Amy Tan. It’s a magical place.

We’ll be sure to swing down to Cape Perpetua area too, and check out Thors Well

Spent the last 5 days on a road trip around the central Washington Cascades in the van for my (47th! Eeek) birthday.

On Wednesday we left town and headed up to Lake Tucquala, up in the mountains above Cle Elum/Roslyn, one of the prettiest vehicle-accessible places I know in the state. It’s up a long and rough dusty road, but it was worth it. No one around but some deer, frogs and geese. Funny thing about this place though- that big grassy field? That’s actually the lake, thick with river grass, except for a river-looking channel down the middle (second pic).

Thursday was a bit of a bear. Came down from the mountain and drove the rather-pretty back way up to Leavenworth. The plan was to head to Winthrop and head over the North Cascades Scenic Highway, but found it was closed due to being on fire 😳. So we ended up heading back over the cascades, across Hwy 2, going up to Granite Falls and the Mountain Loop Highway. We got there only to find all the rough campsites full, and then managing to score literally the last non-reserved campsite at an official campground. The upside of this was we got to have a nice campfire to cook dinner on, and went swimming in the not-freezing river afterwards, making for a pretty great end to a long, hot, frustrating day.

Friday we headed over to an old spot outside Index on Hwy 2 where we’ve been camping for a couple decades, and met up with a bunch of friends- my annual b-day camping notice is usually “here’s where we’ll be- I’d love to see you for a few days or a few hours”. We dipped in the (damn cold) swimming hole for a bit, explored around, played some board games. Some more friends came up Saturday to join us, we went on a few hikes, and generally just hung out, caught up and enjoyed each others’ company before almost everyone went home, though at one point there was a rain scare, and we moved everyone into the back of the van around the table to finish the game. It was discovered that 6 people can fit around the gaming table/bed easily (all fully vaccinated and with the doors/windows open, of course). We also discovered that I am a terrible Ghost while playing Mysterium Park. This is the river next to our campsite, for general reference.

While exploring the area nearby we found a structure that I dubbed the creepy teepee. It was in the middle of the forest, no trails leading to-or-from it. Spooky. So we made out a bit.

Goddamn it is gorgeous around here.