Castle Vox: New lite skinnable TBS

Popped up on Blue’s today.

Feature Recap:
[ul]
[li]Fast world domination.
[/li]> [li]Plan attacks simultaneously.
[/li]> [li]Collaborate with teammates.
[/li]> [li]Maps from many eras and mythologies.
[/li]> [li]Giant maps with many players.
[/li]> [li]Map editor included.
[/li]> [li]Hard AI will push your brain in single-player matches.
[/li]> [li]Online multi-player modes: relaxed and speed variants.
[/li]> [li]Easy to learn, hard to master.
[/li]> [li]Mixes elements from Diplomacy and Axis & Allies board games.
[/li]> [li]Available for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows. [/li]
[/ul]

Haven’t tried it at all, meself. Anyone? If it were on RoxOrSux.com, what would you rate it?

I played the demo, which has the WW2 and hex barons maps. WW2 was very much like an advanced version of risk, while hex barons felt more like a simple TBS wargame. I did actually enjoy it. The amount of maps coupled with the presentation makes me want this for when I feel like a simple strategy game. The AI seems good too.

I thought those images looked vaguely familiar, than I saw it was by SillySoft.

Lux was enjoyable enough for what it was, and I played a lot of it when it came out, but I’ve been a bit turned off by the splat-book like pumping out of flavored versions that they’ve been doing. Before I dropped down money on this, I’d want to make sure it was more than a slightly advanced version of Lux. which is what it look like based on the blurb and screenshots.

I’d welcome a comparison between thus and Lux, for anyone who’s played both.

I finally got around to buying this. You can use the promo code INFOWAR to bring it down to $15 at checkout. I’m really enjoying the game. Although the mechanics are exactly the same between games (advanced risk), the sheer number of maps and strategic scenarios with the good AI make it worthwhile. Great for when I want some strategy in a short period time, and not in the mood for something with much more meat like paradox’s games.

Castle Vox uses the same map format and map editor as Lux. So it does look the same, but the game mechanics are very different. To wit:

• simultaneous turns (like Diplomacy)
  • multiple unit types
  • units can only be built in Castles
  • units have limited movement per turn
  • teams are supported

So it ends up being a very different game. I personally am liking it more than Lux, possibly mostly because it’s brand new fresh. (disclosure: I’m the main developer of both.)

Did a little write up of Castle Vox
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=937

In reality, though, this is not a “dice-free” game – the battles are still determined by chance, right? All the random-number stuff is handled under the covers.