Castlevania: Insert Subtitle Here

Have you played DoS in Julius Mode? It makes it pretty easy to draw a comparison.

SOTN was just plain a larger game on all fronts. AoS and DoS souls don’t really count for much, since I’d say well over half of them are completely useless.

I don’t know why they haven’t tried to sell us a Castlevania collection yet.

I would kill for a Castlevania SOTN re-issue.

Or just make SOTN 2 for new consoles.

Are you sure it’s larger? I haven’t measured the maps, but it doesn’t seem larger to me, and it sure as hell isn’t longer. In fact, it’s half as long as either AoS or DoS.

And it has a bunch of its own problems. Easily half of the items that you have to go out of your way to find in SOTN are useless, it’s literally the easiest game ever made, the fighting-game-style spells are just silly, there’s nothing to do with all the extra equipment you find, etc. It’s a great game, but it was Konami’s first stab at that type of game and I think that shows when you play the most recent ones.

I really don’t get the easy argument. I’ve not found any castlevania entry to be particularly difficult. How exactly are the new ones more difficult? I’m curious how you are measuring. None of the bosses since SOTN have matched the difficulty of that giant armorclad boss in SOTN’s upside down castle.

Shield Rod.

I replayed SOTN about six months ago, and finished it in just about four and a half hours. I died a total of twice over the course of the game, once on one of the early bosses and once on Dracula. I deliberately did not use the Shield Rod or even the spells.

Every Castlevania game since has been significantly more difficult, even if none of them are exactly Ghosts n’ Goblins.

A little size comparison:

vs

And when you get to the upside down castle in SOTN, it’s almost completely populated with new enemies. On top of that… there’s still items to find which expand your ability to explore.

Harmony of Dissonance came close for map size

But the gameplay wasn’t as expansive as it was in SOTN.

That Dawn of Sorrow map looks to be about the size of one castle of SOTN, and it leaves out the second castle. In fact, I daresay the main castle in each game is roughly the same size, the only real difference coming in terms of how the second castle stacks up to it. Regardless, what do you mean by “the gameplay in SOTN is more expansive?” I’m ready to admit that SOTN might be as much as twice as big as Aria, but if that’s the case, how come it takes half as long to finish?

Shield Rod.

there are no 3d castlvanias dammit. they dont exist. lalalalaalalal

Because you’ve played it a ton of times? It rarely takes more than a few hours to finish any castlevania title, once you know where to go and what to do. My original very first playthrough of SOTN took about 9 hours for the bad ending. 12 hours for the good ending. Nowadays, yeah, I could do everything in the game in 5-6 hours.

Only reason the Sorrow games take long is because you artificially inflate your time farming souls.

Because you’ve played it a ton of times? It rarely takes more than a few hours to finish any castlevania title, once you know where to go and what to do. My original very first playthrough of SOTN took about 9 hours for the bad ending. 12 hours for the good ending. Nowadays, yeah, I could do everything in the game in 5-6 hours.

Only reason the Sorrow games take long is because you artificially inflate your time farming souls.[/quote]

I’ve only played through SOTN twice. My first playthrough (good ending) took about seven hours. My first playthrough of Aria took ten and a half, and that most certainly does not include time spent farming souls.

Anyway, please get to explaining this “expansive all around” gameplay.

SHIELD ROD.