Castlevania series on Netflix

Only a couple babies, sheesh

I finished it last night. Alucard was awesome. Why only 4 episodes? The story is just getting started!!

Having never played a Castlevania game in my life - blasphemy, I know - I’ll assume that this is heavy duty nostalgia speaking. That golden eyed fop with the Troll belly jewel was pretty damn silly to me.

The whole show is just damn ridiculous.

…and that’s not to say that it is not worth watching. I’m just thinking that Preacher is a better use of blasphemous viewing time.

I’ll watch this eventually, but I’m too busy watching Little Witch Academia (which also arrived at Netflix at about the same time as this). And this might be the polar opposite to that, really. :-)

Just found out Warren Ellis wrote the screenplay. I expect to see Dracula getting kicked in the balls.

Well not Dracula, but close enough

You are quite prescient - this series is a master class in ball kicking.

Ha :) Ellis sticks to his shticks. I also happen to like said shticks, so I guess I’ll be watching this.

Watched and enjoyed this last night. Set things up nicely for season 2. It was good enough for the wife to stop playing WoW and come over to watch with me on the couch.

When Ellis first got involved it was supposed to a movie. It seems like that script got chopped into four and massaged a bit so it could become a series when Netflix picked it up.

I would definitely recommending watching it as though it were a movie with built-in bathroom/popcorn breaks. The episode breaks are extremely arbitrary. S’pretty good, though.

This was good TV. Love the adult themes and gore in a vampire & demon story.

The first season is woefully short, and it’s going to be a long wait. Sigh.

I haven’t played Castelvania since the 80s, on my NES, so I have no idea how any of this ties into the game series. But now it makes me want to play some of the newer ones.

It’s basically Castlevania 3.

Agreed. Too much. One episode was enough.

You watched the goriest episode with the most violence against innocents (there’s a little bit in the next episode, none really after that as I recall) already, FWIW.

The show is pretty dumb, so feel free to be turned off.

Oh yes, it’s pretty dumb. And I found it pretty bad too. I couldn’t help but feel like the show was the annual convention of all the Basil Expositions this side of anime. It was the animated equivalent of Bethesda litterature.

Well, it’s back. Apparently all that time wasn’t spent on animations.

It’s distracting that they went with “really well drawn, but horrificly animated,” as their thing.

Got a few episodes in. It’s interesting, but good lord watching someone pick up a book and seeing they used like 4 stills for it can be jarring. It’s like playing a game on a PC below specs with the graphics turned up high.

Is the animation the same as the first season? I liked the first season well enough and didn’t have a problem with the animation.

I guess I’ll find out soon enough, since I’ll probably watch season 2 in the next month or so.

It’s been long enough that I’ve forgotten if the first season was this jarring.

It wasn’t at the time.

Shades of Dragon Prince (yes, I know I came after Castlevania S1). Man that down-refreshed CGI shit is freaky in that show. Is this show doing the same thing, or is it more of the oldschool “anime art is pretty but maybe too pretty to draw more than four frames of per week, whoops” style?