Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

The more I play this game the more convinced I am that this is the best/deepest roguelike out there. It really is a rabbit hole that you can end up going very deep down once you start.

I been worked on my first mobile base all weekend. I found an RV that wasn’t in terrible shape so I used that as my starting platform and made many modifications.

It had a V6 gas engine originally but I found a V8 engine on a police car and replaced it with that. I also found a badly damaged mini-reactor in a SUV and installed that and repaired it. I then found a large electric motor and installed that as a second engine. I have it set to just run off of the gas engine and if I run out of gas the backup electric engine can take over and get me around. That way I’ll never be stuck out of gas.

I added a second gas tank (why not) and it originally came with a 60L tank installed with clean water in it already so that was a bonus.

I installed solar panels and 4 storage batteries for extra juice in running everything and to make sure I always have a way to recharge no matter what.

I found an armored Humvee with a grenade launcher and a turret so I ripped those out and installed them for defense. I also pulled some heavy frames and composite armor off of it and added those to the front as a hardened ram bar in case I have to ram any zombies. The rest is still regular frames and no armor since I didn’t want to make it supper heavy and kill my gas mileage.

The Humvee also had 33 inch armored wheels so I added all 4 of those to the rear of my vehicle and put 4 of the original 24 inch wheels on the front. I kept 2 of those for spares since I figure if I hit stuff the front tires will take the worst of it and need replacing.

It came with a mini-fridge and range so I just added the chemistry station and food buddy. I don’t really need a welding station since I have an integrated toolset CBM that has that included. Maybe I need to add a forge though, I’m not sure.

It came with a bed originally but I removed it. I ripped out the front seat and replaced it with a reclining seat so I can sleep there instead. It works great.

I have a lift on the back and it works great to get heavy stuff off other vehicles but you can’t use it to install heavy stuff in YOUR vehicle, which sucks. Then I found that I could construct a folding telescopic crane that solves all my problems. It’s basically like building folding shopping cart except you put the lift on the frame and casters instead of a basket. Once you’re done with it you can just fold it up and stick it in a storage box. It works great and I’ll probably remove the boom crane from my vehicle now as it’s not needed anymore.

I added a bunch of storage but I can, and most certainly will, add more whenever I need to.

Anyway, this is what it looks like so far: