Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Yeah, I didn’t even know there was such a thing as smoke zombies until I ran into one outside a little later. So many nasty zombie types in this game.

I got a really nice semi-auto shotgun from that basement that uses a 10 shell magazine. So sweet.

I found a military duffel bag on a dead zombie. It’s got a lot of storage so I’d like to use it but it’s ‘filthy’ and you get a morale hit and chance to get infected from that. No problem, I thought, I’ll just use this gallon jug of ammonia I found to clean it. Nope. Can’t clean it with that. Can’t clean it with bleach. Can’t clean it with soap and water. Can’t clean it with anything. I guess I’ll be turning off that mod in future runs. I don’t see how it adds anything but frustration to the game.

I’m sad that some of these more advanced rogue-likes weren’t around during my Nethack/Angband/Zangband days. I just don’t have the patience to deal with these anymore but I would have been lost for days back when I was younger.

You need to craft a washboard to clean clothes (I think it just takes 2 by fours). When you activate that you need a source of water and something to clean with (soap and detergent work, not sure what else qualifies).

I think I’ve seen washing machines inside Luxury RV’s too. Not sure how they work though.

I started by getting hooked on the original rogue as a young man back in the early 80s. The Univac mainframe system engineer where I worked gave me the game disk. Now 40 years later I’m still totally fascinated by them. I’ve always had a lot of patience though. And plenty of time now that I’m retired.

Thanks! I’ll see about making one of those.

Okay, I’d thought Caves of Qud was the best roguelike that I’d played in years. Until now. I now think this game has it beat. If you like deep roguelikes with a lot of systems and deep crafting, this is kind of a dream come true. The vehicle system alone is insane. I see why Vorm has been so fascinated with it. It has really been eating up my gaming time (in the best possible way).

Agreed, it’s a classic that continues to evolve, I have been enjoying it for years.

Hey Vorm, I found an empty wooden cask in my mansion’s basement that holds something like 200 units. It weighs a lot and takes up a lot of volume. I’d like to get it up the stairs to the main floor so I can move it to the indoor pool and fill it with water. I found a banged up but functional shopping cart in the basement so I was able to move it over to the stairs, but I don’t see any way of moving it up them. Is there any way to do this in the game that you know of?

You cannot pick up furniture (just drag it around with enough STR) so no, you cannot get that up the stairs.
You can build your own with a few tools and a relatively low skill requirement.

Hey thanks for the info. That’s what I’ll do then. I’ve gathered everything I need except for the water faucet. I’m not sure where to get something like that but I’m guessing maybe a hardware store or home improvement store. Or maybe I can disassemble a sink or something to get one.

I found a shopping cart in a grocery store that was in good shape except for bad casters. I found an acetylene welding torch and welding glasses in a garage and I was able to repair them. Now it’s good as new and I’ve been using it to raid a lot of good stuff from the local stores. I’m still looking for a working vehicle I can use to go exploring further afield. I’ve visited 3 garages so far and none of them had any vehicles inside.

I’m starting to stock a lot of nice equipment and tools in my mansion for my future endeavors. I also have a pretty nice library from raiding all the bookstores and libraries. It’s a lot of fun.

Disassemble (not smash) the kegs downstairs and you should get back the items used to make them…like the water faucet. Have your tools ready and then use the construction menu - Disassemble furniture option.

Thanks, that’s a great idea. Unfortunately, it turns out the kegs downstairs are just plain wooden barrels without a faucet and I can’t deconstruct them. I’ll just set this project aside for now and work on some other things. I’d like to find a vehicle I can get working so I can practice driving and expand my exploration range to other towns. It’s too bad that the giant tank I found parked in front of my mansion doesn’t work.

Yeah, most tanks have broken tracks. If you find one with working tracks though you can usually get them running. Sometimes you have to de-activate certain engines that are faulty but usually you can get them running.

They are also a great source of diesel fuel and ammo (you can unload the machine guns, then unload the ammo belts to get a pile of useful ammo for your normal guns).

Yeah, this one has broken tracks. It has five V8 diesel engines and 2 of them are still good (green). It has a lot of fuel tanks and they seem to have fuel. Only one of the storage batteries is still good. I figure I might be able to salvage some of this stuff and reuse it, like the 2 engines and some of the military grade armor.

I’d prefer to use gas engines instead of diesel if I can. If it’s like the real world, diesel is much harder to find than gasoline. Then again, I have those 2 V8 diesel engines right here I could maybe just plop into something to get it running again.

Vorm, I have Stats Through Skills IV installed and it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve increased a bunch of my skills but my stats are exactly what they were at character creation.

I keep getting the message “stats updated based off skills” but nothing ever changes stat-wise. Do you know if it’s broken? I used the launcher to delete it, re-download and install it again but nothing has changed. Any ideas?

It’s been broken for awhile now. The base version of Stats Through Skills works but i am unsure if/how you can update an in-progress game with a different version of the mod. Pretty sure it can be done, i have just never bothered myself. Btw, just use the base version of that mod. the III and IV versions are not ‘newer/updated’, they just change the way the calculations are made in some way.

Where can I download the base version of Stats Through Skills? It doesn’t show up as a mod in either the default installed mods or in the downloadable mods in the launcher. The only choices I have there are Stats Through Skills III and Stats Through Skills IV. So I had picked IV. Is version III what you mean by the ‘base version’?

I didn’t have to download anything outside the launcher, it comes with the game if you’re using the CDDA Launcher. I installed it from the ‘Repository’ so now it shows up on the ‘Installed’ mods list.

Capture

I think I might need to give this one a try again after all these darned great reviews/stories. :-)

Any suggestions on what mods are worth using?

Yeah, that was my problem. I was using a version 7700 package that someone compiled and I downloaded to get around the food freezing issues in the more recent versions. I had to first backup my game directory, do a fresh install of the most recent version from the launcher to get the proper default stats mod, then copy it over to my version 7700 mod directory. Unfortunately also that meant I had to abandon my current game and start over to get the mod to work. All that wonderful progress lost, sigh. My new game had a brutal start too. I almost got my right leg totally chewed off by zombies. I mean that leg was down to just a few hit points. Even after a nights sleep its still only half strength.

I’d very much suggest that you view the excellent @Vormithrax starting let’s play videos and Cataclysm University series which give good info on which mods to use for a beginner. He’s got them linked about 20 posts above and they are very good for beginners like me.

If the barrels aren’t constructions you should be able to move them around by just picking them up (wielding) them. If it says it’s too heavy you probably have to empty any liquid in it, but you should be able to lug it around.