Catch-all Europe isn't that great thread

I wonder how much his continuing medical “treatment” costs? What is the boy’s quality of life right now? But, really, a couple of “Hail Maries” and “Glory Bees” by the Pope should fix him right up.

I really hope there’s more to it than that summary. Making that decision is every parent’s worst nightmare but it should definitely be their decision to make. Ugh.

Ugh, indeed. There’s a place for courts and disinterested advocates to step in when parents are torturing their children for no good purpose.

Nobody gets to decide whether he gets to live, unfortunately.

I strongly recommend that instead of media or other summaries people read the original court judgment, which is extremely considered, compassionate and, naturally, heartbreaking.

While true, I fail to see how that changes what the parents want to do, however hopeless.

Legally, it does. Parents aren’t the exclusive arbiters of a child’s best interests in the UK (and indeed in many circumstances, though probably not this one, in the US).

He said it better that I could. Which is pretty rare, since he’s almost always a prick.

Nothing useful to add to this thread but wanted to share this recent cute pic of Merkel with some young DC tourists in Georgetown

Well now I don’t want to visit Catch-All Europe anymore. Apparently it’s not that great.

That looks like either Clyde’s or the one in Gtown that has the open skylight thing in the middle. Mr Smith’s? Man I miss Georgetown sometimes.

Cause things went well last time.

European perception of immigration: how much each nation believes is immigrant vs real numbers

Depressing reading for the UK. Fair play to Croatia though.

The words, having been invoked, require the requisite offering

The Baltic nations, in general, did well. Aside from Poland and Germany that is.

That U.K. number is from 2001. It was 12.7% in 2011 and is probably even higher now.

8.3% in 2015.

Do not conflate foreign born from foreign citizens. Immigration stats normally just measures foreign citizens living in a country. Naturalized immigrants are normally no longer counted towards immigration statistics (which I think is fair). Specially because they now have full citizenship rights and can’t be legislated upon on their own so the numbers are pretty irrelevant for policy.

Also counting them would raise unsavory questions as to the why make the distinction at all and have two classes of citizens in the numbers.

Your own source says 8,9%. In any case I’m not sure that distinction would be clear to the people answering the poll.

Interestingly if you look at the eurobarometer survey that those polling results are taken from it’s interesting to see that the U.K. perception of immigration is actually relatively positive compared to the rest of the EU.