Catch all Lucasfilm Disney Plus series thread

Yeah, there looks to be some very broad approaches here. The Obi Wan series seems most ‘traditional Star Wars’, Mandalorian has space western, the Rangers series could be a more serialized adventure of the day, Ahsoka seems really to lean into the force mysticism.

That last bit let me explain. The logo has imagery and symbols that evoke the world between worlds. Which has a multiverse/ time/ dimension hopping aspect to it. It’s not much, but that it has that design indicates several possible things. Not the least of which is more exploration of the light/ dark dichotomy and her leaving the Jedi Order. I also suspect it has to do with a certain friend of hers who is missing. If you’ve seen Rebels then all of that probably makes sense and you get what I’m thinking.

Acolyte, Droids, Andor? They’ve got mystery, humor, spy thriller. It seems they are learning from the MCU and applying a much more broad style and tone.

And don’t forget the Taika Waititi movie we only saw this from

It ain’t much, but it certainly indicates a willingness to try new things.

Well, I guess half a decade is a long time, but five years after Revenge of the Sith, Portman won an Academy Award for Black Swan. And she worked on at least one or sometimes more movies a year until that point. It wasn’t like she was blacklisted. She did about the same as or better than, say, Daisy Ridley.

Okay, but I don’t think that invalidates what studio producers told her agent.

I mean having a hard time getting roles, while still getting some (because let’s face young beautiful people can still get jobs in Hollywood, just perhaps not the kind of star roles she wanted) is not incompatible. I haven’t seen anyone suggest she was blacklisted, but she certainly wasn’t getting top tier roles like she seemingly wanted.

At the risk of raising your expectations too high, The Mandalorian really reignited my love for Star Wars. It’s been an absolute delight to dip into that world on a weekly basis.

That said, you have every right to feel burned out. There are a lot of shows coming out, and I doubt all of them will be stellar. I’d say pick the ones that interest you, and ignore the rest. Or ignore them all.

Except for The Mandalorian.

Since no one has mentioned the elephant in the room yet: It’s all well and good to talk about Christensen coming back as the man in the suit, but who will be voicing Darth Vader? Will it be James Earl Jones? Hayden Christensen? Someone else? I can’t imagine anyone but James Earl Jones doing the voice, but he’s going to be 90 by the time this series starts filming, and even in Rogue One he was starting to sound really old.

Because it’s presumably continuing her character arc from The Mandalorian, played by the same actress?

If Ahsoka first appeared in the Mandalorian it wouldn’t bother me, but in my brain any Ahsoka show is a Clone Wars spin-off.

I would say that an animated Ahsoka show is a spinoff from The Clone Wars, and a live-action Ahsoka show is a spinoff from The Mandalorian.

I haven’t read too much into all of this, but is it possible that Hayden will be Anakin and not Vader? I mean, he’s not nearly tall or bulky enough to be the true Vader we all know.

I hate to spoil The Empire Strikes Back for you, but Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker!

All kidding aside, maybe there will be sequences with burned-up Anakin acting with his helmet off. But unless something has drastically changed, I believe this is set after Revenge of the Sith, so solidly in the Kenobi-on-Tatooine time period.

I don’t mind Christiansen getting a shot at this. My trust in these new TV shows is healthy right now.

It is, about halfway between prequels and OT

Yep, I just read that it’s about 10 years after Revenge of the Sith.

So are Darth Vader and Obi-Wan going to interact at all in the series? In Star Wars, Vader says, “When I left you, I was but the learner. Now, I am the master!” I always assumed that meant when Obi-Wan left him for dead on Mustafar. It’s going to seem very different if he actually meant, “When I left you after we hung out three weeks ago, I was but the learner…”

I believe the intention is, yes, they meet again. In fact they explicitly frame it as a rematch.

You are shocked at canon inconsistency? In Star Wars?! They eat canon inconsistency for breakfast! And then for lunch if there are leftovers.

I’m for it. Watching their fight on the Death Star now, after the prequels, it’s glaring how little impact and emotion their reunion has. I think it’ll feel better if they’ve already had their first rematch.

I’m guessing this is an April Fool’s article, but I’ll add it here anyway.

Im really beginning to catch on to the ‘I hate April Fools’ train.

OK but you gotta admit this one is pretty good -

Grohlfinger!