CATS - a musical all alone in the moonlight

Yeah… Are we not going to talk about the elephant cat in the room?

After the Top Gun Too trailer dropped earlier, another nostalgia peddling trailer got released into the wild. And it is an absolute monster!

Terrible CG with famous people faces (Dench! McKellen! Elba! Swift!) primitively stitched onto furry CG bodies. Bizarre sets. And using its only famous song to hopefully peak peoples interest in this abomination.

Anyway, make sure you are sitting down and not drinking any liquids - no need to risk spewing something over your screen…

Holy shit. That looks horrible. Not, like, internet “everything sucks” bad, but actually really terrible.

Meh. It looks as bad as every other musical movie to me. Their trailers are almost universally terrible due to cheese factor.

Dear God.

When I first heard of a Cats trailer with Judi Dench and Taylor Swift I just assumed it was some mocked-up internet tomfoolery. I never thought it might be real.

That looks like it’s going to be bombastic, garish, overblown, pompous and about as enjoyable as drinking Drano.

A faithful adaptation of the original, in other words.

Oh my God.

Taylor Swift as a furry. I’m pretty sure I can hear the yips of excitement coming from the dark corners of the web all the way at my house.

I’m very looking forward to PFT discussing this in character on Comedy Bang Bang!

Sweet jesus, that is the most terrifying thing I have ever seen. So much so that when the director’s name appeared at the end of the trailer, I read it as “Tobe Hooper”.

-Tom

I agree that it seems faithful to the original, which I also agree was a travesty that should never have been done.

But more importantly, something about the animation was making me physically nauseous just during the trailer. I can’t imagine how bad the actual film would make it.

Holy shit, this looks an epic misfire.

I’d rather just have them film an actual Broadway performance than that.

Tom Hooper??? Man, he has an Emmy for John Adams and an Oscar for King’s Speech. Why? Why?

Yeah, I think the movement of the faces relative to the body just don’t quite line up sometimes, giving it an “off” vibe. Or these digital puppets are just not fully formed yet?

This doesn’t look good, but it also doesn’t look as bad as I expected from all the shocked responses online. It looks pretty much how I’d expect if you explained Cats to me and said they were going to make a movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This seems to perfectly fit the hold my beer meme after the Sonic trailer.

I knew they were making this, and I’d heard they were using CG to put the actors into digital bodies, but I expected something like The Jungle Book or Lion King reboot. Realistic looking cats with human voices.

I don’t understand this at all. Why use CG to essentially recreate the play’s costumes but in a way that is exponentially more terrifying?

Oh, that makes sense I guess. I went from not knowing there was a cats movie to seeing reactions to the trailer of weird CG cat people. So yeah, they’re weird, but also similar to my limited exposure of the costumed humans from the original. Certainly some uncanny stuff going on, but I didn’t stop to consider a version more like the Lion King remake. That does seem like it could’ve made more sense in retrospect.

Man, The animated mouths transposed on some of those faces felt like Sausage Party 2: Electric Boogaloo.

It’s not the most disturbing aspect of the trailer but I’m weirded out by how small the cats seem to be. They feel as tall as a cat standing on all four legs, not two.

This. It’s clear that they’re trying to do “like the play, but higher tech”, but they landed in a terrible place between humans-in-costume and CG animals that’s neither here nor there. Just a huge misfire on the expectations of live theater vs. film.

So, it’s a bad idea to start, but then the execution looks terrible because, as noted, the faces feel like they’re floating on top of the CG bodies. Very unsettling.

It feels like they might have suspected that, and tried to throw stars in to compensate, but now I just feel bad for all the actors involved.

This is what Spielberg was working on in the 90’s, but his animation company (and the concept) folded.