Cave Story, anyone seen this?

Cave Story papercraft! Balrog for the win.

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/works_3.php

Just started playing this today on the Netbook, I know I know I’m late to the party but heh… The game sure is brilliant. What’s the latest word on the Wii version?

All I know is that it’s (finally) close. “After the new year” is what they say on the blog.

It’s been close for waaaaaay to long! Still though I can’t wait to get back into it and play it all over again.

According to today’s press conference - March 22nd is the date for Cave Story Wii. Finally.

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/2010/02/24/cave-story-coming-to-wiiware-march-22nd/

I guess this is on steam now and I’d never heard of it but some are making a big deal about it. Is it still any good?

I think their archery implementation is pretty poor, but otherwise its supposed to be a fun update on a what…6 year old game by now? It IS an indie game though, so if you are heavily into graphics and the like, it probably won’t be fun for you, but most say its a great fun little game.

yes cave story owns

<Image removed by popular demand>

My intelligence is ofended by the steam description of this game. Something along the lines “the most know indie game”. But i will test it with my 3 years old cousin. Will he recognize the minecraft icon or this game icon?

To be fair, it does also say “arguably.” But it’s also seven years old at this point, and has maintained its level of popularity throughout. Still, you’re right, I doubt it’s anywhere near as widely known as Minecraft or even Dwarf Fortress at this point.

I thought Limbo was the most well known.

I’ll pass then. I really really don’t need another game, shooter no less, with craptastic archery to deal with.

Wise choice. The archery in Cave Story is so bad as to be literally non-existant, so I can’t imagine the game would appeal to you very much. Have you heard of Mount and Blade?

That picture that extarbags posted… Is that supposed to make me want to play the game?

Qt3 is filled with insufferable retards.

Only in the sense that, as a picture, the words “play it” stand out more. I honestly have no idea why it looks like that, it just happened to come up while I was looking for screenshots of the new 3d version.

But seriously, I agree with that picture’s sentiment if not its art choice. For whatever reason, people on the internet are constantly wondering whether or not they should play Cave Story. Yes, you should play Cave Story. It’s extremely popular, it’s critically acclaimed, it has been constantly being released for more and more platforms for seven years now, and it’s fucking free. So yes, play it, for shit’s sake.

Yeah, it’s the art choice. I look at that picture and I immediately think of all the awful JRPG experiences I’ve had.

I think a lot of the Cave Story questions happen because whenever anyone asks, the response is usually “Just play it.” Unfortunately, that doesn’t tell anyone why they should play it.

As for the bit about it being free, if you’re like me, you have a ton of backlogged games already so price isn’t the issue. It’s time. Is this worth my time? Again, why? What is Cave Story like? What are the mechanics?

Yeah, a lot of Cave Story fanart leans that direction, which kind of doesn’t make any sense at all but whatever.

I think a lot of the Cave Story questions happen because whenever anyone asks, the response is usually “Just play it.” Unfortunately, that doesn’t tell anyone why they should play it.

As for the bit about it being free, if you’re like me, you have a ton of backlogged games already so price isn’t the issue. It’s time. Is this worth my time? Again, why? What is Cave Story like? What are the mechanics?

Fair enough. So: it’s a sidescrolling shooter/platformer in the same general vein as Metroid. However, the shooting mechanics are a lot more solid–the combat itself feels more like an old Treasure game than a Metroid game, maybe somewhere between Contra and Gunstar Heroes on the shooting spectrum. The aggregate effect is that, while it’s definitely in the MetroidVania genre, it feels a lot different and it shines it its own way. And if you like that kind of game, CS is right up there with the best of them.

In addition to that, it has a really interesting setting to explore, a decent story that’s revealed gradually and cleverly, memorable characters, and a world that is irrevocably altered by decisions you make as a player, even if you don’t realize it at the time.

Put it this way: I am like you, and I do have a ton of backlogged games. All the same, I’m probably going to be playing Cave Story yet again tonight, just because this thread reminded me of it. That’s after playing it to completion maybe four or five times already. It’s that good.

Nice write up! Okay, now I’m interested.

I’ll have to cram a little of this between Skyrim and SR3 and see if it clicks.