Caves of Qud - "Swap stories with an albino ape mayor"

This is comforting to read, because I love making mutant characters, right out of Gamma World. I should really try to dig into this again, it’s been years since I last played it and got anywhere.

Yeah I only dabble now and again when the major updates land, I am far from an expert.

Still managed to get 25 hours in by doing very little lol… I really like it but I keep waiting for it to be closer to done before investing the time it deserves.

The mutant stuff is kind of like a harder difficulty though as you need to have better understanding of the game systems I guess.

I haven’t played in six months or so but in the spring I was still finding that an agility build was at least as strong as the heavy armor build with a True Kin. I think there are a ton of viable builds.

Mutants are great fun but I think some of the abilities are situational. The only characters who have felt weak have been mutants but I can see how they could be ultra good if planned correctly.

I play mutants as manual evolution. Whenever I die I roll my next mutant character with the same stats, but change one thing to counter the last thing that killed me.

Mutant builds can be very, very powerful. One key if you play one is to choose the trait that allows you to pick between 3 different mutations whenever you mutate. That way you have some control over your character’s evolution.

So much this. I still dream of Gamma World on occasion. PSH’s are losers! I usually went mutated animal.

I have yet to really play this beyond about 30 mins. I have however , spent many happy hours rolling up characters.

With the latest updates it looks like I should dive back in.

That video will make try the game again. The first time I tried I was so bad with the controls, I did not feel like making any progress, but if the game is that exploitable, I must break trough the dificulty wall and get into the fun stuff :D

The weekies for this game are a fun way to “play” asynchronously with friends. However, my friend and I tried the same weekly and had the same starting build but …

different starting locations!

I survived for a little while around Joppa. He started in Ishur and died in his first map to a 15th lvl goatfolk caster.

I had assumed the start locations on the weekly would be the same for all players.

Can anyone help by trying the weekly and reporting where you started? Thanks!

Caves of Qud, weekly challenge.

Uuq Syuun was a furred warrior with the strange power to duplicate himself and disintegrate solid objects. He journeyed from his remote village and shared his water with a local snapjaw tribe. The tribal leader joined him and brought along 12 of his friends. This army of snapjaws traveled to the red rock canyon and quickly cleared the surface. Below, they encountered a hostile snapjaw warrior who cleaved many of them with his bejeweled greatsword. Uuq Syuun cloned himself. His clone immediately opened fire with a musket. The bullet went wild and mortally wounded Uuq Syuun. Uuq Syuun killed Uuq Syuun.

That sounds like a terrific idea. I hope it turns out as good. I want my ASCII Shenmue.

I really need to get into this! I’ve had it for a number of years now, but am constantly overwhelmed whenever I try it out and turn it off again after a few minutes. It looks so interesting!

That is exactly what happens to me. I very much want to get into it but I feel like I need an additional 30 minutes of hand holding at the beginning, to help me understand how to use the various systems.

I recommend that anyone trying to learn the game turn on the load save game functionality. This will allow you to experiment and learn the game’s ins and outs without having to start over each time you die.

Just getting started? Here are tips. Stolen from somewhere, sorry forgot the source:

Make a True Kin and put all your points into strength and toughness

Choose a complimentary caste like Praetorian

Start in Joppa, talk to people to get quests

Loot the unattended chests by closing doors beforehand. This lets you complete the first two quests from Argyve.

Visit the Dromad merchant to stock up on supplies. Sell stuff you got from the chests to buy the best armour and weapon you can afford

Rust Wells is a good starting quest, it’s a bit easier than Red Rock. You can get up a couple levels first by exploring the surrounding swamps and hitting the local wildlife (glowfish and glowpads, avoid the alligators)

Use < and > to go to the world map and back.

You can use l on this screen to look around, you’ll see Rust Wells to the right

Alt is the most important key, as it declutters the screen

Never hold a direction key down - press w then a direction instead

Harvest and Butchery are good skills because they’ll provide food and healing

Probably from earlier in the thread… ;)

It was my quick point-form summary of Pinback’s guide, plus there’s a link to the wiki there as well.

Ha ah super advice! I still send it to all my friends who are just starting. I will try to remember you posted it first. :-)

There is some additional info on the wiki that is pretty handy for new players too. This is a few pointers on what you should be aiming for in the very early game:

• 6+ Armour Value (AV) - keeps early game damage manageable. If an enemy Penetration Value (PV) is higher than your AV, then you start getting chances for multiple penetrations.
  • A missile weapon - penetrates enemy AV without relying on your strength
  • Lead slugs - conserve for enemies with higher AV, becomes easier to get later on.
  • Healing items - Witchwood Bark or a Salve Injector. You can learn Harvest in Joppa to be able to get the bark in the wild, but it causes confusion if your willpower is low.
  • Bandages
  • A good light source - glowspheres are recommended, but you will use torches early on.
  • An escape strategy - you can Sprint when you get into trouble, but this won’t help if you get surrounded or are being chased by something faster than you, so be on the lookout for something better. ‘Look’ at any new creature and check their difficulty to see if you should be running away.

I won’t spoil specifics on finding this stuff as that’s part of the fun, but a lot of it is obvious anyway, eg Joppa has merchants and baddies drop loot. :)

If you want to know why/where, you can read the wiki entry where I cribbed this info.

Qud Weekly challenge, #15:

Shwyraq Imurosher was an apostle from the village of Karqazor. He was often called “wasp” because of his beak, wings and venomous stinger. He shared water with the female elder and she agreed to join him. He hoped she would be able to protect him should he fall into another narcoleptic slumber in the middle of a fight. He did not reveal his ability to create space-time vortexes. Apparently she was also shy about revealing the same power, and in the first fight against a lone ape her vortex sucked them deep underground. They wandered through narrow tunnels, running from amoebas that neither of them were equipped to fight. Eventually things looked bleak so Shwyraq triggered his own vortex, on purpose, and they were pulled into a metallic basement. Something attacked, she accidentally triggered another vortex and was pulled away. Shwyraq, now alone, fought off an amoeba and won. While he healed a walking turret tinker came into the torchlight. The apostle became so afraid his narcolepsy triggered and he fell into a deep sleep. He was surprised to awake with the turret still standing over him, and he quickly ran off. The turret did not appreciate the sudden movement and fired lead slugs into his back, killing him instantly.

What could I have done? Rested a very long time until the vortex became active, and rolled the dice on a new location.