Caves of Qud - "Swap stories with an albino ape mayor"

Almost every negative review of the game on Steam is about their discord, not the game. I’ve thought about getting this one many times over the years. Maybe this weekend is the time.

Wow I didn’t realise that Sseth was such a lowlife. I don’t follow him at all, but that review he did was really entertaining. Shame.

It must be really tough having to deal with big streams of people whose sole aim is to try and sink your product.

I mean, the issue are his fans, that are stupid enough to not know he was doing a bit, not him.

The issue is him, for talking to people, too.

By ‘lowlife’ I was mostly referring to the initial racial/homophobic incident that got him banned from the Qud discord server, was that whole thing a ‘bit’?

If so I guess the devs were stupid too! :)

Not really, bit or not bit, he infringed the rules.

So the discord thing was a bit, just a really offensive/tasteless one or something? As was the call for his followers to also try get banned?

Won’t someone please tell me how I should feel about Sseth! :)

No he just didnt read the server rules and wanted to make a joke, but talked about something not allowed to be talked, as to avoid having a rush of weirdos - and oh boy, does this happen quickly on a discord who isnt carefully watched.
He should have read the server rules, his reviews are still entertaining, the people taking him seriously are still turds.
My pleasure!

This game is very hard. Even taking all of the “recommended for beginners” options I still meet swift death if trying to pursue either of the easily found quests in the very starting area.

Yeah, I worry it’s been in development so long it will never be for casuals at this point.

Is one of those recommended choices to play as a standard human? It was quite easier that way in my experience, although of course it takes a lot of the “crazy” out of the game.

There are different sets of recommended starts for humans and mutants.

I’ll give it a whirl and tell you what happens to me! It’s been a long time.

That feels off. I’ve always found the start really easy but until Golgotha. On the other hand I generally run around killing stuff south of the starter village for a while and rarely go on either starter quest until at least level 5.

The one hint I have is that is is worthwhile to do at least a few quick restarts until you get some decent gear in the starting chests.

See, that right there is part of the problem - I’ve struggled to hit level 3 or even 4 because the game sort of makes it seem like taking on the first quests are the right thing to do - and who would think otherwise? Nowhere is it telegraphed that grinding for XP in the south part of the starting zone is the ideal way to play - until your post, I had never heard of doing such a thing. What should probably happen is the first quest location should be made closer to the village first off, or any number of other ways to ease new players in, won’t really be considered because the game is more and more for hardcore fans that have followed/played the game for years. It’s a shame as it’s an amazing game that I’ve bounced off of probably half a dozen times, never seeing content past the first 30-60 minutes of the game.

I never grinded (the experience given for chatting around was enough) but the starting chests gear you steal might indeed be key

That’s hit or miss, and should not be a requirement for success, imo. Sometimes I get jack shit, a few times I managed to get caught, ending a run quick. Thankfully you can save your character build and restart. :)

But… It’s a… roguelike :0

Starting…chests.

Please spell out the lewd double entendre to me, it’s killing me and Chappers is too busy to send me his own!