CDs I bought because of Guitar Hero

I started the 80s listening to “soft ass shit” like Billy Ocean and then, later, rap until about 1994 when I got into grunge. From that point forward I didn’t listen to alot of new stuff unless someone forced me. Although I am now catching up to what I missed, here are some of the CDs which I probably would have otherwise overlooked or put on the serious backburner. I have already bought these or put them at the top of my wish lists because of Guitar Hero.

format: band / CD(s) bought / relevant GH song(s)

Heart / The Essential Heart / Crazy On You
Lynyrd Skynrd / The Essential Lynyrd Skynrd / Freebird
Boston / Greatest Hits / More Than A Feeling
Motorhead / The Best Of / Ace Of Spades
Stevie Ray Vaughn / The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble / Texas Flood
ZZ Top / Greatest Hits / Sharp Dressed Man
Incubus / undecided, referring to a friend / Stellar
Kansas / The Best Of Kansas / Carry On My Wayward Son
The Allman Brothers Band / A Decade of Hits 1969-1979 / Jessica
Buckethead / referring to another friend / Jordan

I should mention that some of the stuff I already had: Nirvana, RHCP, The Police, Guns’N’Roses, and Queen come to mind.

Related question: who wouldn’t buy a 2-3 CD collection containing the GH versions of these songs (game cover versions) and possibly another 2-3 CDs containing the originals? Forget the $2+ per song DLC rip-off, I’ll put $40 down for that value-added boxed set like a motherfucker and just listen to it.

No one in their right mind would buy this. Who would want to listen to the GH versions of any of these songs over the originals? Nobody, that’s who.

Now that would probably sell.

Guitar Hero songs I already own on a CD:
Killer Queen - Queen
Cochise - Audioslave
Higher Ground - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age
Crossroads - Cream
Possum Kingdom - Toadies
Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
Message in a Bottle - The Police
Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Sweet Child O’ Mine - Guns N’ Roses
Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart - Stone Temple Pilots
Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine
Misirlou - if you count the version on the Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Trogdor - Stronbad (Yes, I bought “Strongbad Sings and other type hits”)

Then, because of GH I bought CDs for:
Last Child - Aerosmith*
Smoke on the Water, Hush - Deep Purple*
Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold**
Dead! - My Chemical Romance**
Thunderkiss '65 - White Zombie*
Woman - Wolfmother

*greatest hits
**had considered these prior to GH for other songs, inclusion of GH songs tipped the scales

Miscellaneous:
I bought Bad Religion’s Infected and The Slip’s Even Rats off iTunes, and downloaded Cheat on the Church from Graveyard BBQ’s site.

Bonus Contextual Knowledge:
I bought an Imogen Heap CD because of SNL mocking a show I’ve never even watched, so my impulse-buy-threshold is pretty low.

I can’t wait for the follow-up thread: Weapons I bought because of Dead Rising.

Don’t focus on the negative! Consider the books we’ve read because of Dead Rising!

The Exies are playing here in town on Wednesday, and I kind of want to go see them just because of their Guitar Hero song. But they’re the headliner of a 5-act show, on a weeknight. I don’t really want to stay up that late, probably because I’m getting old.

Also, there are several “Guitar Hero soundtrack” lists up on the iTunes store. If you don’t mind iTunes, that is.

Anyone with the remotest smidgen of good taste.

I’ve really gotten into Buckethead since I heard Jordan. There are a gazillion CDs, but his latest, Pepper’s Ghost, is the one to get if you want to check out more of his music.

waitwaitwaitwait…

TROGDOR IS IN GUITAR HERO!??!?!?!?!?!

Yes! And it’s actually a pretty difficult song.

…And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiiiiight.

Guitar Hero 2, to be specific, as an unlockable bonus song.

ok, maybe i do need to get my ps2 fixed

Also, GH2 tracklists are best put together off of the mp3 collections of others and bittorrent premade tracklists. Listen to the original, make sure it still rocks without the plastic guitar, and then buy the album, that’s my advice.

I bought the Exies’ album after playing GH1, and it’s one of the most bland and disappointing albums I’ve ever heard. “Hey You” is great, and I also get a kick out of “Slow Drain”, but the rest of it seemed so dull as to make Nickelback seem positively inspired by comparison. Save yourself the ticket cost and the disappointment.

Biggest drag since hearing the full Quarashi record after rocking out to “Baseline” so many times while playing Amplitude.

The anount of time my drummer has been playing GH, he could probably learn to play an actual guitar…
could “Drum Hero” be far behind?

About five months behind, actually.

The Harmonix guys say that they see these games as not just games, but also a new form of music appreciation. It sounds kind of hokey, but I have to agree. I find myself listening more closely to the guitar tracks in songs after playing GH. Like others, the game has also gotten me to appreciate the music of some bands that I hadn’t paid much attention to before (there’s a lot of good stuff in the bonus tracks section).

This is the one to get: The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East

http://www.amazon.com/Allman-Brothers-Fillmore-East/dp/B000003CMB

I guess being a musician listening intently to certain parts in order to learn them was common sense.

Drum hero eh? Now I guarantee you could learn real drums before the game.

I’m not saying I did this, but a lot of people I know downloaded those unofficial GH2 soundtracks where they take the actual songs and order them as they appear in GH2.

Well, Rock Band, which will have drums.

Not over the originals, in addition to the originals. Like any cover or live album, with the GH versions as guitar-emphasizing covers. To be fair, though, I’d like GH to cover their own cover and get rid of the dude who sang Heart Shaped Box