Cell phones: What do you have, what do you want and why?

Have - T-mobile 7290
Want - T-mobile DASH
Why - EDGE support, smaller form factor, support for MyFive, built in support for MSN/AIM/ICQ/Yahoo IM. Good enough push email. Actually ordered one this morning.

Have: Treo 750W
Want: a flip phone. Why? I’m sick of dialing people from my pants. I rarely use the PDA part of the Treo anyway, mainly because it’s so underpowered 90% of Pocket PC apps don’t work on it. I had a Samsung Windows Mobile flip phone which was freakin’ perfect, but it was never updated and Verizon finally stopped supporting it.

I’ve got a RAZR. I like it and don’t see getting a different phone for a couple of years. It’s small and fits into my pants pocket so I don’t have to wear one of those dorky belt clips. I make about 15 minutes of calls a month and it does fine for that. When I’m bored at a workshop I can whip out a game of Ancient Empires II and have fun with that.

I have an LG G4015 that I got for $30 used on eBay. Clamshell, smaller than my wife’s camera phone, has survived multiple drops, uses SIM card, color screen. I wish I could get the internet connectivity to work but it doesn’t really matter - I have an indestructible cheap phone that is just dandy for its primary purpose.

Whenever I answer my cell phone in public, I always use the phrase “It’s pronounced KAR-A-TAY” at least once.

Generally, I don’t answer my cell phone in public unless I’m trying to co-ordinate meeting someone.

CNET’s review for the Cingular 8525 is now out. For those who rely on their cell phone for professional reasons, this one seems like a home run.

i have a nokia with a rotary number arrangment. the thing is big, clunky, and has a crap interface. but i’ve dropped it onto concrete more times than i can remember, and after putting it back together again, it continues to work time and time again.

so yeah, this is the phone for me. the nokia phone with crumple zones.

Have: Nokia 3100, a piece of crap that DOESN’T HAVE BLUETOOTH!
But it was free, like every phone I’ve had, and the subscription is a pay-as-you-go,
and since I don’t go anywhere, I don’t pay :)

Want: A model that is not Sony Ericsson (they’re all CRAP!), Nokia (every other
one is CRAP! The rest merely adequate), and has logical numbering so I can
tell which one is the newest. Year, month and a letter indicating BT/IR/USB,
thank you, and not a stupid OS that bogs down keypresses so much that the
asterisks don’t appear fast enough to hide your passcode. Apart from calling
and messaging, I just need to personalise my ringtone. The more annoying,
the better. REVENGE!

Yeah, I want a phone that fits my unfriendly personality >:)

Yeah, that’s why Sony Ericssons marketshare is growing and Nokias is dwindling - Sony Ericsson is the company turning out the crap… and people like crap.

Since sarcasm never works, I’ll spell it out. You’re wrong and some of the best phones coming out now are from SE. Best camera phone on the market? SE K800i. Best MP3-player phone? SE W810i (Or W910i I’m torn). Best smartphone? Something from HTC (Qtek or whatever name they use in your part of the world) but the runner up is SE 990i.

Samsung makes good phones but uses too much plastic and real use doesn’t match specs on paper (who cares aboy 3 Megapixels if the camera has no autofocus, no fotolight or flash and a crap lens?). Motorola has great examples of yesteryears technology in tomorrows design (only beaten by B&O, but they only have on model on the market).

But they ALSO have some of the very worst ;)

I’ll just hang onto my current crap till someone shows me a less crap phone
with just the four major features I need.

Have: Motorola E815, SEEM edited to turn on all the good stuff that Verizon doesn’t want you to have. I like the phone – it’s much bigger than my last one, a teeny Samsung 530, but I’m wearing it on a clip now. I feel cool when I can hang up and holster the thing, complete with “click” with one hand, but flipping it closed with one hand, spinning it, and then jamming it into the clip. It also syncs with my Mac over bluetooth without any fuss or additional software, which is really, really nice. I like the belt clip more than the pocket, because I could never get my phone out of my pocket in time.

Good call quality, nice screen, ok camera.

Want: Nothing right now. Check with me next year, when my Verizon “NE2” kicks in.

Don’t let your 815 get damaged. :( We had one and the screen cracked. Verizon’s insurance company replaced with with an Audiovox. :(

An Audiovox? Gack!

Have: Sony Ericsson T610
Want: Nothing
Why: Much like Roger’s Nokia, my T610 is a survivor. The latest, greatest, stunt it survived was when it dropped out of my pocket as I was sitting in a rollercoaster 8 m above the ground. It got hit by the rollercoaster, fell down on the track, fell down again, and probably banged into one or two supports on the way to the ground. It still works. The front panel is dented and the back panel is scratched, but it’s a triumph of Japano-Swedish engineering.

Also, as long as I can use my phone to call people and send text messages with I have zero need for a new one. I demand no other functionality.

Have: Sony Ericsson thing the cellphone company gave me for signing up…which is apparently CRAP

Want: Well, the cellphone makes calls for me, so that pretty much covers the waterfront for features that really matter to me, so nothing. As long as it continues to turn on and connect calls I’m good. Fetishizing cellphones seems pretty “metrosexual” (is that a word we’re still using?) to me, and I’d feel silly.