Census 2020

I couldn’t find a dedicated thread for this, but it might merit one.

This is totally fucked, right? I saw some poor sap on the street today trying to recruit volunteers. Who wouldn’t want to go knocking on random doors in the middle of a pandemic?

Volunteers? I’m pretty sure they get paid.

I do believe they get paid but I do not think that invalidates the original point of the thread.

Probably time to reopen the ‘sampling vs actual counting’ debate.

I actually put in an application to work nights and weekends. I’ve done some canvassing in the past and thought it might be interesting to see it first hand, plus the chance to practice some rusty language skills.

Don’t think I’m going to take the job.

I got something in the mail that I could do online.

So… progress I guess? Of course I already had someone come over a year or so ago and do all the other stuff.

It’s a job someone has to do, but I also get not wanting to do it. Pandemic aside, people are crazy.
Like some militia dude is likely to kill you and bury you on his property because he thinks you’re a spy from the Feds or whatever.
Big respect to people who do it. It’s a Constitutional requirement after all and it’s important.

Unfortunately militia types are not rare in Oregon.

Fortunately they are rare in Washington and Multnomah counties (the Portland Metro) compared to eastern Oregon.

Imagine being a census taker in Montana.

Good lord. I’m not sure they’d allow you to walk around in camo with a Confederate flag on your jacket, but I wouldn’t want to do the job outside most cities without them.

I know someone who canvassed for the Democratic house rep in Ravalli County, outside of (liberal) Missoula. She’s been threatened a couple of times, but is steely and compassionate enough to talk herself out of it.

The only place I saw a census taker in person was when I lived in Bellevue/Redmond, Washington. Someone came to the door, I remember.

But other than that, I’ve always gotten something from the census in the mail, filled it out and returned it. I would think most of the census was always conducted through the mail like that, right?

I did the last census while in college. Normally you are only sent door to door for non-replyers. In Richmond, this ended up being a lot of tenements, government housing, and they even had a small group of people specialized to go find homeless people under bridges, etc.

I received mine in the mail yesterday, filled it out online already. Easy peasy compared to previous ones.

I got my mailer with my code and all as well, but haven’t sat down to do it yet.

Was the citizenship question on there?

Nope. Names and ages that’s it. Ethnicity but nothing about citizenship.

Yep, got mine today in California. Filled it out online in about 4 minutes. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Got mine today too!

I have such a love-hate relationship with that dude. . .

I know the feeling.