CES 2017 - Gadget lust, or gadget bust?

Every now and my TV will freak out over something in the video signal and start displaying “HOLY SHIT! IT’S 3D TIME!! PUT ON THE GLASSES!!” messages. But I never do…

I’m glad the 3D part hasn’t found a way to malfunction and take down the rest of the TV with it.

I saw something about a haptic feedback touchscreen that looked interesting. Don’t know “new” that is, though.

I try not to be so negative about the show coverage. The cynicism is understandable because so many announcements are about how “this will change the world”. Plus us as the audience aren’t actually impressed unless it really is the next coming of the iPhone.

But there’s cool things to make a less cynical person smile and read about it. Small companies doing real engineering, coming up with something neat that may find a niche. There is a bike helmet that uses sound through your jawbone to make listening to music safe while you ride (even if the sound quality isn’t amazing). There’s a small pop up projector screen called the Spud. The LG smart refrigerator has a small door so when you need something small all the cold air doesn’t come out.

Internet of Shit is all over it

Old and busted: tele-dildonics. New hotness: tele-tasting?

Hah, that’s nothing compared to… vibrating jeans. It vibrates which direction you should turn when walking around a city.

Actual promotional pic

Actual quote on the above web page featuring those same models

[quote]“BE NICE, BE REBELL, BE YOURSELF.”

True to its slogan, and in an attempt to banish clichéd ideas of the perfect woman, the brand SPINALI DESIGN continues to use only non-retouched photos to promote its ESSENTIAL Jeans: a new policy to help women banish their complexes and feel at home with the brand ![/quote]

OMG

“Did you feel the earth move too, or are we just lost?”

Topless except for jean jackets.

That’s gonna chafe.

Hey, remember that Razer triple-screen gaming laptop? Someone sure wanted one badly.

[quote]
I’ve just been informed that two of our prototypes were stolen from our booth at CES today.

We have filed the necessary reports and are currently working with the show management as well as law enforcement to address this issue.

At Razer, we play hard and we play fair. Our teams worked months on end to conceptualize and develop these units and we pride ourselves in pushing the envelope to deliver the latest and greatest.

We treat theft/larceny, and if relevant to this case, industrial espionage, very seriously – it is cheating, and cheating doesn’t sit well with us. Penalties for such crimes are grievous and anyone who would do this clearly isn’t very smart.

If you were at the show and/or if you can provide us any information, please do reach out to us at [email protected] – all information provided will be kept in the strictest of confidence.[/quote]

What’s with the hate on 3d TV by the way? We don’t use 3d on ours very often but it looks great when I bust out a 3d Blu ray every once in a while.

Razer wasn’t really even the first with the idea.

https://slidenjoy.com/en/

For me, 3D was (still is, I guess), a gimmick that I didn’t want. That I couldn’t find a decent TV without it was a peeve.

I’ll only hate it if it finds a way to go pear-shaped and wreck my otherwise awesome final-generation Panasonic plasma. Which I don’t know if that’s even a possibility, but I’m still giving it the hairy eyeball anyway.