CES 2020

I’d say 80% of the stuff I watch on my TV (not counting DVDs) is 4K at this point, outside of baseball season anyway. But I watch very little broadcast TV.

I watched an NFL game in 4K and it looked pretty darn good (even though it was 1080p upscaled to 4K). Going back to ESPN at 720p, the video quality looks horrendous to me now.

I can say that the upscaling my Vizio TV from 2015 does is pretty amazing. I’m getting older, so it might be that, but there are definitely times I can’t even tell if I’m watching 1080p or 4K native content. If the tech can do the same from 1080 to 8K then maybe it’ll be worth considering in four or five years.

You watch baseball in the UK? What is wrong with you? Are you an American ex-pat?

What source? Fox and CBS are dreadful

For 4K NFL? I watched it via the Fox Sports app on a 4K Apple TV.

Here’s an article about it:

This is definitely one of those situations where people may have to see it to believe it when it comes to the downgrade in quality on some channels compared to others on a proper modern 4K TV. Like, when stuff isn’t up to snuff, it really looks crummy. You feel like you’ve actually gone backwards despite having this beautiful picture on lots of other content.

Damn. I had no idea that was a thing. Wonder if they are doing that on the LG app. OTOH, I hate the lg interface, and it might be easier to move the Apple TV when a game is on.

Technically, yes.

I don’t use the LG apps but if Fox Sports is there, maybe it will work! I’m hoping the SuperBowl on Feb 2nd will be available in 4K since it’s being broadcast by Fox. Although, I’m not confident they can handle such a large volume of viewers. When I watched a game back in Sept, the stream got stuck a few times and I had to restart the app. Hopefully things have improved since then.

So has CES turned up anything fun besides TVs? I haven’t been following coverage at all this week…

Ha, that’s cute! Not terribly practical for home use (I’ve got the door closed if I’m pooping, which would be a problem for the 'bot) but as they say, that’s not the point. I like it.

Let me help you with that.

I saw an NFL game recently on a TV with Dish Network and was shocked by how absolutely atrocious the “HD” image quality was. It was so compressed it looked like a (poorly) upscaled 480p stream. It makes me wonder how many millions of people out there don’t know how good even 1080p can look, let alone 4K.

Depends if they had DISH HD or not. We have Dish HD and its 1080p content looks great even upscaled to 4k on my Sony TV from 2016. The user has to make sure the channel says HD, as they mix SD and HD content like crazy in their packages.

… a bunch of likely unbuildable and/or unsaleable prototype crap plus a keynote from Ivanka!

Lol my sister swears to me she can’t tell the difference between the 480i stretched SD version of channels and their HD counterpart. It boggles my mind.

Passing butter is starting to look pretty good right about now.

4K/HDR-capable broadcast TV is coming to 40 US markets before the end of 2020.

Hopefully Tivo will plan an ATSC 3.0 DVR, since that’s how I watch my OTA stuff.