Champions of Anteria - This is what Settlers has become

This looks super horrible. Its an ARPG? Wtf is a tactical RTS if you have like 3 units?

Combat was the worst part of Settlers 7, so yeah lets focus on that for our next game… >.>

Talk about streamlining the rock, paper, scissors formula!

Champions of Anteria. To be clear, the game isn’t part of The Settlers series, but a new adventure that will further explore the lands of Anteria.

Champions of Anteria is a tactical RTS with Active-Pause Mode in which you can fight with three of five Champions in diverse and challenging battles.

Glad they are taking the Settlers name off of it, since–you know–this isn’t a city builder.

Aesthetics and presentation-wise it looks very similar to Setters 7 which makes me pine for a new true Settlers game. Maybe I should just go and play 7 again since I keep that installed.

-Todd

It is never a bad time to play more Settlers 7.

The 3 characters only reminds me of DoW 2 campaign, and that’s a good thing. Waiting for more info.

+1 would read this comment again.

I feel bad people had to spend hundreds of hours of their lives making this…

Free 2 hour demo here: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/champions-of-anteria/

I am not going to bother trying it, and just assume its horrible. :)

It does look a bit… generic, but I’ll give it a try. After the seven gigabyte demo finishes downloading.

I’m playing the demo for this and it’s really good, especially for only $30. Production quality and voice acting are top-notch, the combat mechanics are solid (RT, but can be paused at will), and the blending of genres seems to be well done. Devs have also committed to free DLC.

That’s really good to hear, thanks Mysterio!

And it’s currently 20% off on GMG (VIP item)! Sold!

EDIT: It’s the Uplay (not Steam) DRM version, which doesn’t bother me (YMMV, of course!).

Someone please tell me this is a worthy refinement of Hinterland.

Not sure but the Uplay demo sold me on the game and GMG’s discount helped grease the wheel. It leans towards the casual side but the game is so charming and I am a sucker for Settler 7’s art style so I caved.

Free DLC has been released: Alchemist!

• New Champion: Weissle “The Alchemist”
  • New Village Building:The Foundry of Affinities
  • A new type of Potion - 5 new Hybrid Potions

How do I get the free DLC?

While free, it is not automatically included in an update.
You simply need to activate the DLC on Uplay or Steam to enrich your main game.

Nice!

I’ve been slowly playing through this and mostly enjoying my time with it though it leans on the casual side. My recommendation is to crank the difficulty up and play on Ironman mode.

The Settlers 7 aesthetic and visual stylings help elevate the game.

More free DLC tomorrow: New Champion: Tarn, The Beastmaster!

@AntediluvianArk , did this game end up being fun?

I see its for sale now for $7.50 , tempting me.

$7.50 is a great price for this I think.

I played perhaps the first third of the game and then probably got distracted by something else but I still have it installed and intend to get back to it.

The meat of the game plays like an action rpg with you controlling multiple characters with different types of attacks, defense, heals, etc. You can pause and issue orders when the action gets intense. There is something similar to a weapon triangle from Fire Emblem, but in this case I think it is different elements. A character with a fire element associated it will do more damage to enemies affiliated with wood/nature but is weak to water affiliations and so on (possibly like 5 element types if I remember correctly). So there is some tactical considerations in battles and it is not just hack and slash.

Then there is a strategic layer on top of you claiming regions where you successfully did battle, collecting resources from those regions, and constructing buildings. There is also crafting and researching upgrades.

Just go into it realizing it leans a bit to the casual side, but makes up for that with a lot of charm and a gorgeous Blizzard-like aesthetic. It has its flaws but the sale price seems fair. It’s a light mix of RPG, strategy game, MOBA, and very light builder.

There is a demo on Steam and possibly in UPlay too.

Yeah I downloaded the demo, will try tonight. :)

I agree with everything AntediluvianArk said and feel it’s an underrated gem.