Changing NAS needs for 2017

I just realized that when I switched over to streaming audio instead of accumulating and curating my own internal iTunes/Subsonic server, I no longer need to run a home music server.

Does anyone still use their home internal iTunes server on their NAS appliance?

I still do it because i have a ton of media already and subscribe to iTunes Match instead of Apple Music.

Diego

Rei, same here. I’m giving spotify family a try right now and so far I like it for the most part.

I do, not iTunes server, but all my music is on my Diskstation for my Sonos. Don’t see the point in paying for a streaming service when I have tons of purchased music and I have no interest in the newest pop rock hits that come out. I just buy the half dozen albums that come out every year that I am interested in.

Apple of course is trying desperately to get everyone on Apple Music by making their music apps more difficult to only find/play downloaded music, which is really annoying me. I guess I am old.

I have a decent amount of music that in theory is available to my Sonos, et al, but nope, I’ve been using Google Play Music , for Family. It matches all my own music and I get the usual paid streaming of new stuff and everything not in my library. So I can totally live without the music on the NAS, other than as a local backup.

@LeeAbe, You can upload up to 50000 tracks to Google Play Music to stream online, through your various Internet connected devices totally free. Costs nuthin. So if you don’t care about new stuff, and you can shoehorn your own music into the 50k free slots, :) it’s worth it. It’s basically iTunes match except you don’t actually have to pay anything for it. It’ll also upload your own obscure tracks that don’t exist in their library to match.

Thanks, but I really don’t need Google Play. The 60 gigs of music I have fits on my phone for when I am not at home, and everything in my home can play music off my DiskStation which was really easy to set up. Plus I don’t have to give Google any more info about me than they already have. The less Google in my life the better.

I can see using Google Play, etc working for people who don’t have a NAS already, but if you have one, might as well take advantage of it.

Security-wise, I have moved to make less things accessible directly from my home connection.

I don’t want to open ports to make thinks available out of my home, but in home, I don’t see the problem. For CloudStation (Synolgy’s cloud system), I don’t open ports but use their online service to access it outside of my home. Works fine and seems safe enough.