Chaos in the Old World!

This presumes that the dial victory and vp victories are equally easy to get. In the case of Nurgle, however, I think he may find it easier to win through vp than the others can win through dial advancement. More accurately, I think he may be able to arrange this through solid play- I don’t mean to imply he’s ALWAYS faster. If he is faster by even one turn, that makes all the difference. As for Tzeentch, well, I need more experience with him but he seems exceedingly flexible- in my second game I was Tzeentch, and it was a three way tie on the dials at the end, so it had to be broken by VPs…I lost, but by a single point!

Loving the game, want to play more!

Descent is supposed to superior to Doom in every way anyway.

THAT IS UNTRUE !!!
You can play with less than 4

1. Chaos in the old world is in stock at Coolstuffinc.com ordered and now have in my hands.

2. I say buy doom and the expansion. It’s a great game and recently, there have been several sales for the game.

3. Descent is not better than Doom it is different. I think the tension in Doom is way better and Descent feels bloated to me.

That said, Doom (board game) IS BETTER than Doom (video game). That said Doom can be very unforgiving for marine players but you can adjust difficulty and there are enough homebrew variants that if you don’t like the game as it is you can find something to make it work.

Personally, I don’t like Doom or Descent for the same reason: SPAWN SPAWN SPAWN. It’s like playing Gauntlet the video game. Not what I’m interested in a board game. Not surprisingly, they’re from the same designer.

I sure hope you meant Doom 3.

Please note that in the most recent Descent expansion, Road to Legend, they introduced a rule that the Overlord player can spawn once per dungeon section (or level, in that expansion’s case), but otherwise must spend 15 threat to refresh the ability to spawn. I’ve played the default game with that rule and it improves the situation dramatically. It still has other issues, but it’s pretty playable even so.

Well I thought I was going to get to play this today, but after a grueling game of Ad Astra, and then an even more grueling game of Middle Earth Quest, we are burnt out on new games today. Maybe next Saturday.

Middle Earth Quest is out now, also???

How is that game? I have had my eye on it, but didn’t realize it was out now

Chris

MEQ is pretty good. It has more strategic/tactical aspects than other adventure type games that I’ve played. It still has a significant amount of randomness, but it’s more controlled. It has a tremendous number of different types of cards, which sometimes makes it a little difficult to remember what deck you are supposed to be drawing from (hmm, do I want the Event decks or the Encounter decks? Do I choose the lowest numbered or the highest numbered?) etc.

It’s said to have some Arkham Horror style play, but I never played Arkham Horror, so I wouldn’t know. The learning curve is pretty steep, but using the Hero Player Aid over at BGG made the Hero turn much easier. The Sauron turn isn’t that difficult anyway.

We’ll play it again probably next month. I’m hoping to finally get Chaos to the table next Saturday.

Do you interact meaningfully and antagonistically with other players in the game? Or is it more of a cooperation type game like Arkham Horror?

It’s cooperative against one Sauron player.

Sauron probably has the more strategy than the Heroes do. I played Sauron and I had to think a bit about how to best save my plot cards through using my minions and monsters.

a great game here.

But, has anyone figured out a way to play this with only 2 players?

I have been thinking about it. I think we are going to try as a 2-player game: adding 2 more power points to each God per turn (i.e. Khorne starts each round with 9 pp’s instead of 7), and having the Old World Card deck = 10 cards (instead of the 7/8 card deck).

Any ideas?

I would actually like to come up with a way to have a 3rd “ghost” player in, but I cannot figure out anyway to do that.

Chris

Got it last week and played a couple of games. First one showed its character, but we didn’t finish it for a variety of reasons, not least the fact we were delayed when a player spilled a glass of red-wine all over the board and cards before even the first turn.

Second game at the weekend was brilliant. I very much lost, but came into my own as an anti-everyone-else player. That’s the one part of the game which hasn’t been talked about much which caused a lot of tension - specifically, the 7 turn limit after which everyone loses. Even when it was clear that I’d screwed up both dial turn and VP moves as Khorne, I still had the aim to make sure everyone else lost.

Which strikes me as really in theme for the game.

KG

I played this a couple days ago and I think the heroes need more experience before they can work up a good strategy. On our first play-through everyone was playing blind and it showed.