Charles Grodin has died, and that makes me sad.

So different, but both approaches work and are equally as hilarious. I’ve now watched about 10 spread across both shows. Each appearance is great. OK, I’ll stop gushing.

Right? I do remember being ready for a replacement, but that’s only after he was so good for so long.

I know this is straying from the topic, but watching some of those Johnny Carson clips has me thinking about my grandfather. Man, he absolutely loved Carson, would watch every night and practically bust a gut during his monologues.

LOL! Duh. That’s what I get for frantically rushing through a post when I’m supposed to be working. I introduced my students to Mystery Train last week so I think I’ve got train-brain.

RIP sir!

Loved him in Midnight Run and Dave.

My introduction to Grodin was as the bad guy in the 70’s King Kong remake.

Midnight Run will always be his zenith, but I liked him in The Lonely Guy and Seems Like Old Times also.

His career went way back but I first saw him in Midnight Run and to me he’ll always be the Duke. He was perfect in that role.

RIP.

RIP.

From the biggest german news magazine, Der Spiegel, I just learned. Charles Grodin, known for Rosemaries Baby and Midnight Run. Just watched Midnight Run last year, still very funny. Guess I have to revisit Rosemaries Baby…

Lol I watched that video and now my YouTube feed is 40% Grodin late night interviews.

I don’t remember him in RB. What part did he play?

according to imdb he played a Dr. Hill. Don’t remeber it either

It’s a small role. He’s the young doctor that she goes back to and tells about the coven…he, of course, promptly calls her husband and the evil doctor to come get her.

I can’t help but think of Midnight Run, which makes me think of Dingus. …Damn.

Wow, I just watched Midnight Run last week with my wife who’d never seen it (I hadn’t seen it since sometime shortly after release).

I had no idea he was that old. I would have thought late 60s. RIP.

Absolute master of dry humor. RIP.

Yeah, been the same for me with Danny Aiello. Kinda lost track of him after the 90s, and when he passed in 2019, I was briefly surprised when I read that he was 86. Despite it totally making sense, of course.

Had the same thought when I looked up Grodin last year after rewatching Midnight Run because I had kinda assumed that he and De Niro are about the same age. (De Niro is 77.)

Another reminder that 1990 was 31 years ago.

I am becoming old and will die before I know it.

I feel a little embarrassed to admit this, but I only watched Midnight Run for the first time last night. Turns out, it’s great! If only someone had recommended it sooner…

There’s something really special about Grodin’s performance. An understated mischievousness. I get the sense that character would be screwing around with people just for his own satisfaction.

Funny, I had assumed DeNiro was older - he looked older in Midnight Run

I remember he played the father in the Christmas Story sequel (It Runs in the Family later renamed to My Summer Story).