Check Your 6! — turn-based air combat

Reminds me of AH’s Tobruk, a game that consisted almost entirely of moving tanks around a pretty blank map and spending 90% of your time consulting arcane charts that quantified every aspect of ballistics and related wonderfulness. Each shot was like a lesson in probabilities crossed with a crash-course in physics. At the time, for me, it was glorious; I could relish each shot from a 2-pounder AT gun as if it was poetry or something. The end result could have been represented, I’m sure, with a simply hit or miss, and be statistically about as reliable at the end of the day, but where’s the fun in that?

I played the heck out of Ace Patrol, loved it for what it was. Brooski’s totally right… at first glance, this looks somehow sharp and painful, and that’s probably the art direction’s fault.

That is pretty much one thing I didn’t love about CoH. My gripes about the rules probably stem from me being able to play the game way more times than I ever did physically.

They totally nailed the look and feel. Also, the rules were simple enough so that their resolution could be presented snugly into a beautiful one screen animation. Which is also that balance between detail and accessibility which is so elusive, and they got quite it quite right.

Thanks again for the write up!

So… $30? Yay? Nay? or “why dont you buy it and tell us Rod?”

I just read that the game lacks both a dynamic campaign and a skirmish mode - it’s just a handful of fixed scenarios.

Glad I opted for Surviving Mars instead.

Merge this back into the grognard thread. It doesn’t deserve our limited thread juice!!

Wut?? Thanks for the heads up. Yeah 18 fixed scenarios is not gonna work for me.

Eww, gross. That sounds like something you would treat with salve.

Yeah, that’s what killed it for me. When I saw that, I just uninstalled. I don’t have much interest in isolated canned scenarios these days.

-Tom

It’s number of planes/tanks.

I bought about fifty bucks worth of planes earlier this week, and they arrived today. Enough aircraft to both launch my own daylight raids over Germany and then intercept them and shoot them down fit into two small boxes (shown). I took out a few of the aircraft so you can see their size relative to a ball-point pen (also shown).

Some of you have incredible eye sight (said the myopic gamer).

Back to the game. From everyone’s early impressions Check Your Six looks like a game I’ll wait to see if it improves over time. But I’m intrigued and wondering if there are other turn based games modeling WWII dog fighting folks can recommend. I watched a couple YouTubes of Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol Pacific somethingorother and it looked kind of fun but with a short shelf life.

Dammit, I need to put in a new order.

I have both the original Ace Patrol and the Pacific version. Good beer&pretzels gaming. There is some replay value in that the planes behave differently (you play different planes within a side, and there are multiple sides) and the pilot progression can be different.

Can’t wait to see pics of your paintjobs!

-Tom