Cheney accidentally shoots hunting companion

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060212/D8FNQDG80.html?PG=home&SEC=news

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20060212/ts_nm/cheney_accident_dc_1

Fortunately, it looks like it’s not too serious. But not a good thing for the shootee or the shooter.

Sure it was an accident.

“What’s that scar?”

“Oh that? It’s nothing, the Vice President shot me.”

Yeah, I heard this on the radio. This is just absurd:

“This is something that happens from time to time. You [k]now, I’ve been peppered pretty well myself,” said Armstrong.

If spraying each other with shot is even an occasional occurrence in their hunting parties, none of them should be carrying firearms.

If Whittington was armed with a fully automatic hunting weapon – as is his God-given right under the Second Divinely-Inspired Amendment – Cheney would have thought twice about shooting him.

Firearm restrictions from Hollywood elitist gay-loving femi-Nazis won’t even let a long-time friend of the Vice-President defend himself. Communists.

In seriousness, I’m glad he wasn’t seriously injured, but I doubt I’ll add quail hunting to my pastimes.

I’m sorry, but LOL!

The only way this story would have been more awesome is if Cheney had tortured the dude after he shot him.

-Tom

“Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been,” she said. “The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came.”

Guess there are advantages to getting shot by the veep.

I blame faulty intelligence.

Whittington “came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn’t signal them or indicate to them or announce himself,” Armstrong told the Associated Press in an interview.

That’s what you get for sneaking up on the Vice President.

The man was obviously in league with al Qaeda. Or carrying weapons of mass destruction. Or guilty of egregious human rights abuses. Or some combination thereof.

At any rate, he’s in his final throes.

-Tom

Lucky for him he was hunting with Cheney rather than Chuck Norris.

Likewise for Cheney.

A whitewash?

That “retelling” of the incident reeks of something made up to put the VP into the best light possible. It’s like Greedo shooting first.

Doesn’t Cheney usually have Scooter Libby do this sort of work?

If you’re not with us, you’re with the quail.

How the hell does a 78-year old man survive getting shot in the face?

It’s an occasional occurrence among most bird hunters. Granted, it’s usually just shot coming down to earth from a few hundred yards away, where it’s merely ballistic, but any dove hunter will occasionally spray someone across the field from time to time.

Now, I haven’t RTFA, so he might have nailed him up close, which is a definite no-no. Spacing is there for a reason.

H.

According to CNN: Katharine Armstrong, the ranch’s owner, said Sunday that Cheney was using a 28-guage shotgun and that Whittington was about 30 yards away when he was hit in the cheek, neck and chest.

Each of the hunters were wearing bright orange vests at the time, Armstrong told reporters at the ranch about 60 miles southwest of Corpus Christi. She said Whittington was “alert and doing fine.”

He was wearing a vest and moves into the line of fire an ol’ Dick pulls the trigger from 30 yards anyway.

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was in stable condition in the intensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday, said Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System.

The accident occurred Saturday at a ranch in south Texas where the vice president and several companions were hunting quail. It was not reported publicly by the vice president’s office for nearly 24 hours, and then only after it was reported locally by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times on its Web site Sunday.

Katharine Armstrong, the ranch’s owner, said Sunday that Cheney was using a 28-guage shotgun and that Whittington was about 30 yards away when he was hit in the cheek, neck and chest.

Now that’s what I don’t get. Why wasn’t this even reported? And if it’s no big deal why’s the guy still in the hospital in “stable” condition in the ICU a full day later? Maybe someone with more knowledge can fill me in.

He took some of the spread to the face, not the entire blast.

RTFA. I’m not talking about shot hitting the ground.