Chet Co-Launches Stray Bombay game studio.

Sounds like Chet keeps moving on to new things.

SAN FRANCISCO—In 2017, game designer and writer Chet Faliszek left Valve Software. The departure was notable in part because Faliszek was perhaps second only to company co-founder Gabe Newell in terms of public exposure, but also because Faliszek’s work represented a seemingly long-gone era at the game studio: one of irreverent, story-driven games that emphasized co-op (both Left 4 Dead games and Portal 2 , among other titles).

“We’re looking at how to create really awesome experiences for players that help us address things like reducing disruptive behavior, about making game worlds feel like more diverse places, and helping people play with compatible people,” Voll says. “We have to be co-op as a company to make co-op experiences.”

“It’ll make sense when we start talking about the game: a diverse group making up the game will make the game better, especially the game we’re making,” Faliszek adds. “That adds more depth, more flavor into the game. And yeah, sometimes players bristle. So at the end of the day, all this stuff we say about how the company’s being put together—if you’re a player and you don’t care about that, rock on. You’re right. We have to make a good game, that’s what matters…we have to prove all of these theories out. For us, we truly believe that’s how you make better games.”

That’s cool, I was wondering what he was up to. I’ll definitely be giving his game a look.

Apparently what he’s up to is the thing Valve isn’t these days.

Namely making games.

What you got against CCGs and MOBAs, CraigM?? Besides that they suck I mean.

I like what they are talking about with Co-op and changing the discussion of it a bit. It certainly sounds interesting. And I’m sure Chet had something in mind already, thus it -could- be a quick cycle with a new studio. I guess we will see!

Portal 2’s co-op campaign is one my favourite co-op experiences ever so more Chet co-op is incredibly exciting.

So at the end of the day, all this stuff we say about how the company’s being put together—if you’re a player and you don’t care about that, rock on. You’re right. We have to make a good game, that’s what matters…we have to prove all of these theories out. For us, we truly believe that’s how you make better games.”

This was very well said.

Why is this in Everything Else?

I suck at posting new topics. It was supposed to be in the gaming forum. True story. Paging @Clay or @stusser, is it possible to move this?

done and done

You rock, thank you Clay!